Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I have been reading comic books as opposed to thrillers. I have discovered that they have relaxation effect especially at this time when I'm going through a lot. However, my friend still believes that Thrillers are the best for the same effect. What's your take on this?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Though I'm more into thrillers than comics, I enjoy both.

I agree that the comparative simplicity of comics may be more relaxing when you are "going through a lot," but for my part, on the rare occasions that I'm really, really stressed, I don't read either. Instead, you'll find me flipping through nature magazines, glancing at the pictures, or quietly sitting in a park, watching the world turn.

·
Super Moderator
67,392 Posts
For me, comic books were something I read when I was a kid.  Haven't looked at one since I was about 10. 

And, I admit, even for a book that looks interesting in subject matter, if it's a 'graphic novel', I won't buy it.  I suppose there is an art to it, but it's not anything I'm even a little bit interested in at this point in my life.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I love graphic novels, because I'm a slow reader. Beginning any kind of novel is a major undertaking. The manageable length and density of comics means that when I read, I'm relaxing. I'm not fussing about how I already have to put it down, and I'm only a few pages in.

That said, reading of any kind is more stressful than my other hobbies. If I'm actually looking to relax, I'll usually put on a TV show and a strategy game.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Comics are generally seen as relaxation reading for me as well. One reason is that while they contain many of the same elements as tv shows (favorite characters, an ongoing story line that develops over time, sub plots that develop into full plots after some nice foreshadowing) the fact that they can be consumed in a smaller amount of time seems helpful. Almost like a tv show with a few of the unnecessary bits excluded. So reading two comics allows me to catch up on two of my favorites, in half the time or less.

I've often wanted to find the same effect from books in series/serial form but haven't quite found it yet.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I find reading comics on Kindle to be interesting, and they move fast swiping panel to panel. It can be dangerous when reaching a cliffhanger. The temptation to go ahead and spring the $ for the next issue is ever present. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts