Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lucky enough to get a good review on The Nerdist. They posted it on their Facebook fan page, which is fantastic news for me.

In a position like that, do you think it's better to grin at the screen and leave it alone or to try and engage with readers in the comments? I lean on the side of engagement, but a friend of mine said she thinks it's tacky when authors try to talk directly to potential readers.

What do you think? And for those of you with experience in such things, what worked best for you?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I've had this happen. If the person posting it is an actual friend - someone I know, then, yes, I do talk to them. If it is someone I don't know who has Liked my book page or something like that I usually "Like" their post or say a simple "Thank you" and leave it at that.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I've never heard of The Nerdist, but I'm going to assume that's not your facebook page.  Leave it alone.  They're not talking directly to you, therefore, they're not anticipating you to respond.  They're talking to other Nerdists.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not a personal facebook page. The Nerdist is a big geek oriented site full of podcasts, original videos, and geek oriented reviews and articles. I'd never randomly troll on an individual's page, but I'm a little fuzzier on the etiquette when it's essentially a corporation (and one I follow eagerly) posting their review of my book.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
The Nerdist is a big geek oriented site full of podcasts, original videos, and geek oriented reviews and articles.

Right, so they're not talking to you. Just like when they post a review on Amazon, they're not talking to you as the author, they're talking to other readers.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I'd leave it alone. I think (unless it's an author chat, where the author is invited) a lot of readers tend to clam up when an author shows up in the comments, and then they don't feel comfortable chatting with each other anymore, and you don't want that. I don't think most readers realize that we authors Google ourselves and stalk all these places where they talk about us and our books, so it's probably best to just smile (maybe print out the review so you can gaze fondly at it later :D ) and leave them alone. We don't want them to know how crazy and needy we are! ;)

In some cases, I might email a blog owner privately to say "thank you".

If they @'ed you in a tweet about it, it's appropriate to RT and say thank you there too. But I'd still not drop in on the FB comments even then.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
AndreSanThomas said:
The Nerdist is a big geek oriented site full of podcasts, original videos, and geek oriented reviews and articles.

Right, so they're not talking to you. Just like when they post a review on Amazon, they're not talking to you as the author, they're talking to other readers.
This. A simple "like" to the review and "Thank you!" is sufficient if you want to, but don't try to get involved in a discussion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.