Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a computer and some computer skills can make the Kindle much more enjoyable and easier to use.

You don't actually have to have a computer to get books from Amazon if you have 3G. However, it is not the most pleasant thing to use to find books due to the small screen. What I do is find the book using my computer and then buy it and have it sent to my Kindle.

You can also find a lot of free books at Amazon or free sites and download them and store them on Calibre on your computer.

Do you consider your computer essential to using your Kindle?

--- edited... no self-promotion outside the Book Bazaar forum. please read our Forum Decorum thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I always download to Calibre before sending any book to my kindle and I never shop from my device. I really have little use for internet access by my kindle. Even the one magazine I buy I read on K-PC.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've never purchased content through the Kindle Store directly from the Kindle.  I do all my browsing online, especailly when I hear about a book in a forum, blog, advertisement, word-of-mouth, etc.  It is so easy to crosscheck reviews against Amazon and Goodreads before I decide to purchase something.

I guess I could do most of that from the Kindle, but my experience with Internet access on the Kindle hasn't been optimal.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I don't remember the last time I had Kindle cabled to my USB port.  I do sometimes shop on my computer and send the book to Kindle, but not always.  I frequently email documents to Kindle from my computer. 

I could be pretty happy using my K2 without a computer at all, but it is nicer to have the option.

Elaine
Norman, OK

·
Registered
3 Posts
I honestly think that the web browsing capabilities (or lack thereof, really) of the Kindle is by far the weakest aspect of the device.

I am a voracious reader, and for years I'd been saying that I did not need a dedicated Kindle. I had Kindle for Mac, Kindle for iPhone, Kindle for iPad, Kindle for PC (for the approximately 11 minutes that I owned a netbook). Then my husband took the leap and bought me a K3 anyway, for my birthday.

I LOVE IT. However, as someone who also loves the Internet, I find the web "experience" on Kindle to be lacking. It's as if there's a bit of "wanting to have it both ways" -- Amazon needs to ensure *some* web access to encourage purchases, but the experience still needs to be about READING, not about surfing. I find Internet browsers to be intuitive, but it took me quite a learning curve before I "got" the K3 experience -- and what I've seen has not been good at all. (Using the Zoom feature, for instance, has been extremely hit-or-miss -- sometimes it doesn't work at all, and many, many Web pages just don't work at all on the K3.)

So -- I do 98 percent of my searching for books (researching, choosing what to buy), and about 80 percent of my actual purchasing of books on my desktop, phone, iPad or laptop. (The 20 percent of purchasing that takes place on the K3 itself is pretty much limited to, say, buying the next book in a series by the same author, or going ahead and hitting the BUY button for a "Recommended for You" book that I'd been contemplating. It's mostly those 2 a.m. purchases that take place directly on the K3, when I'm too tired to even pick up my phone or iPad to browse.) So, much of my K3 web use is simply hitting the Buy button right after reading a book, so that I can move on to the next one.

Having said all that -- I'm not entirely sure I WANT a more comprehensive Web experience on the Kindle. I'm pretty hooked up, I don't NEED my Kindle to provide that experience, and honestly, I'd rather Amazon just concentrate on the reading experience. I'm so in love with my K3 that I'm in the middle of reforming my book-hoarding ways. I'm a lifelong book hoarder (as a child, I panicked when I would run out of books at home). As DH and I seek to downsize, I'm letting go of ENORMOUS numbers of books. I needed to have them around to soothe myself, for reassurance that I'd have reading material at any given moment. But the Kindle has freed me from the fear of running out of the written word! That has been a phenomenal change to my lifestyle, my outlook on life (if I can trust that I will have books at all times, perhaps I can trust that I will have access to other necessary things when I need them??). So the Kindle has been amazing for me.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I use calibre alot to edit my books' metadata.  I prefer to have the series name in the title so I know right away what I'm getting into (and there is no way I could ever remember on my own, since alot of freebies tend to be a book in some sort of series).  I just got done re-editing all my books for my shiny new K3....boy, that was alot of work!!!!!  Kinda wish they didn't code the file for each device...oh well, at least I'm getting faster at it (guess nearly 400 books is good practice, lol---only now I'm dreading every updating again, cuz I'll probably have twice that many....maybe by that time I can let go of the OCD organizing, lol)

·
Super Moderator
67,458 Posts
A computer is absolutely not required for a Kindle user -- that was kind of Bezos' point when he designed it the way he did, setting up the 3G agreements and all.  The Sony reader was already out but you had to connect it to the computer to load it.  The genius with the Kindle was that you could be, say, at an airport and finish one book and get the next even if you didn't have your computer with you!  Free!

But I agree that shopping is easier via a computer screen if you are in a browsing mood.  It's easier to scan titles, open books in new tabs to check out, etc.  But, if you know exactly what you want it's almost as fast to get it on the Kindle as the store access is pretty speedy if you've got a decent connection.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
But I agree that shopping is easier via a computer screen if you are in a browsing mood. It's easier to scan titles, open books in new tabs to check out, etc. But, if you know exactly what you want it's almost as fast to get it on the Kindle as the store access is pretty speedy if you've got a decent connection.
A perfect summary.

·
Registered
758 Posts
My first thought upon reading the title was "Cats and Dogs living together... Mass hysteria!" from Ghostbusters.

I think that if you're used to the more flexible computer environment, you might consider it essential. I wouldn't be happy managing my Kindle only with my Kindle.

But the genius of it is that if you're not a computer person, the interface will be enough for you, and could even be a better experience due to its simplicity.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Alan Ryker said:
I think that if you're used to the more flexible computer environment, you might consider it essential. I wouldn't be happy managing my Kindle only with my Kindle.

But the genius of it is that if you're not a computer person, the interface will be enough for you, and could even be a better experience due to its simplicity.
Yes, the genius of it is having the flexibility to use whichever mode makes sense at the moment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts