Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is in Writer's Cafe because I'm trying to learn the audiobook process from the writer's perspective. And because folks here have a lot of savvy about the underpinnings.

I just bought an audiobook from Amazon without joining Audible. I thought you needed a subscription to do that. I already had the e-book, so the audiobook was 1.99. The process gave me the option of downloading the free Audible reading app, and I chose to download it to my iPhone. The book itself went to my iTunes account--not quite sure how that happened, but it did--and when I connected my iPhone, the book was there. It Whisper-Synced with the e-book, and I proceeded to listen.

So, I guess my question is: If I don't need to subscribe to Audible in order to purchase and listen to audiobooks from Amazon, what's the point of subscribing to Audible? Are there deals available only to subscribers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,481 Posts
Al Stevens said:
This is in Writer's Cafe because I'm trying to learn the audiobook process from the writer's perspective. And because folks here have a lot of savvy about the underpinnings.

I just bought an audiobook from Amazon without joining Audible. I thought you needed a subscription to do that. I already had the e-book, so the audiobook was 1.99. The process gave me the option of downloading the free Audible reading app, and I chose to download it to my iPhone. The book itself went to my iTunes account--not quite sure how that happened, but it did--and when I connected my iPhone, the book was there. It Whisper-Synced with the e-book, and I proceeded to listen.

So, I guess my question is: If I don't need to subscribe to Audible in order to purchase and listen to audiobooks from Amazon, what's the point of subscribing to Audible? Are there deals available only to subscribers?
If you're a regular audiobook listener, you get 1 "free" book per month for your $14.95, and that book might cost more than $14.95 (really big books, say above $25, sometimes cost 2 credits). They also often have discount deals and offers, such as $4.95 abooks. Some books aren't available on whispersynch (I believe some of the big publishers opt out to avoid getting their books discounted). So, there's not any one reason; it's just a better deal for some.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,885 Posts
As David said comparatively few people are on Whisersync because it's new. Most books require you to purchase them directly at Audible. Those available via Whispersync are both cheaper, and easier as they can be listened to through the Audible app on your smartphone.

Whispersync sales make me a LOT less money than direct Audible sales (either with the user using a credit or purchasing a la carte), but it's still absolutely worth it as a new author because you get far more exposure and thus more long term sales.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
David VanDyke said:
If you're a regular audiobook listener, you get 1 "free" book per month for your $14.95, and that book might cost more than $14.95 (really big books, say above $25, sometimes cost 2 credits). They also often have discount deals and offers, such as $4.95 abooks. Some books aren't available on whispersynch (I believe some of the big publishers opt out to avoid getting their books discounted). So, there's not any one reason; it's just a better deal for some.
And the author/producer of the audiobook who bore all the expense of writing, editing, artwork, formatting, and arranging doesn't get a single cent from those free audiobooks that Amazon gives away to promote their business while making $14.95. At least with KU they pay the author something for borrows and sales with subscriptions. With the audio subscriptions they keep every penny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,885 Posts
scribblr said:
And the author/producer of the audiobook who bore all the expense of writing, editing, artwork, formatting, and arranging doesn't get a single cent from those free audiobooks that Amazon gives away to promote their business while making $14.95. At least with KU they pay the author something for borrows and sales with subscriptions. With the audio subscriptions they keep every penny.
This is incorrect. If a user spends a credit to purchase a book you get your royalty percentage on 50% of the purchase price. I average about $4 every time a user spends a credit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,975 Posts
scribblr said:
And the author/producer of the audiobook who bore all the expense of writing, editing, artwork, formatting, and arranging doesn't get a single cent from those free audiobooks that Amazon gives away to promote their business while making $14.95. At least with KU they pay the author something for borrows and sales with subscriptions. With the audio subscriptions they keep every penny.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a bounty payment paid to the author/producer for the purchase of their first audiobook?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Chris Fox said:
This is incorrect. If a user spends a credit to purchase a book you get your royalty percentage on 50% of the purchase price. I average about $4 every time a user spends a credit.
They must have changed their policy since Audible.com tried to acquire the rights to eight of my books back in 2011. During contract negotiations back then, they told me that I would receive royalties based on 'net' (over which I had NO control). Since the person receiving the free audiobook wasn't technically paying for the audiobooks, I would not receive a royalty for the 'free' book they gave away. They said there was a 'pool' of money from 'credits' that was divvied up each month, so I guess that was like the Select/KU fund. Again, your never knew how much, if anything, you were going to get per freebie. It was a major reason why I refused to let them license my audio rights.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top