Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone enlighten me on something confusing please?  I'm not new to owning a Kindle, but I just haven't encountered this before.  I'm wanting to buy a copy of Neil Gaman's novel "American Gods."  However, I'm confused on the different available Kindle editions on the Amazon site.

There are three copies available, two are different editions with different dates with the same $7.29 price - difference being the cover art maybe?  However, there's also a substantially cheaper $3.99 version billed as "Kindle with Audio/Video".  Is this edition only supported on the Kindle Fires or is it supported on a regular Kindle (PW in my case) only just not supporting the audio/video and will thus just look like a regular ebook?

This is the first time I've encountered this.  Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
telreslas,

I could only find two editions, but that's probably close enough.

The second one, the tenth anniversary edition, has additional audio and video files that are apparently only available for the iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad; it doesn't say anything about the Fire but I'll check. EDIT: The book will open on an eInk Kindle but the additonal audio and video files will not. Audio/video is not available on the Fire.

Betsy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, one of the two non-audio/video editions is from 2009, the other from 2011.

In any event, I was just wondering if I bought the audio/video version would I even be able to use it on a regular Kindle (it still supports "vanilla" e-book devices), and I was wanting to do that because it's $4.00 for the audio/video version vs. $8.00 for the "regular" Kindle edition.

I suppose the only negative with the audio/video version - since it will work as a regular e-book on a PW - is that the file itself is much bigger due to the audio and video and that is wasted space on a non-audio/video supporting device.

I'm really surprised the Android Kindle App and their own Fire devices don't support the audio/video yet though.

·
Super Moderator
67,496 Posts
With the 'enhanced' versions, it's the publishers who put in the extra content and they've chosen to only make it work on iThings. I'm sure Amazon is working with them to expand their horizons. . . . .

It's odd the one with the extra stuff is cheaper, but I say go for it. It should work just fine on a regular kindle. Only, there will be some words at the beginning of each chapter that says something about there being content not supported by your device. But nothing extra is downloaded as far as I know -- I did get at least one book so marked. It didn't seem to take up any extra space. The text however, will all come through. AND if you ever get an iThing and put the kindle app on it, it should work there. Might be you have to be on line to access it, anyway.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
The 10th Anniversary edition with the audio/visual works fine on eInk Kindles. As for the price, Amazon has had a whole bunch of books on special lately for various reasons; I expect this is one of them. I'd grab it. I've checked it on my iPod Touch, and it's got what it calls "audio extracts" for each chapter, which seem to be the audiobook versions of at least part of the chapter--I've not listened to the whole thing. You don't have to be online to hear them once the book is downloaded. I haven't seen any video options.

As for size, here are some of my books and their file sizes as shown on my PW:
61 Hours - 618 KB
Bad Luck and Trouble - 295 KB
American Gods - 1.60 MB
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (azw2 format) - 10 MB
Roasting in Hell's Kitchen - 2.1 MB
Les Miserables - 2.0 MB
Celebrity in Death (azw3 format) - 1.0 MB
Glory in Death - 1.0 MB
Ball Four (azw3 format) - 2.52 MB
Except where noted, the file type is shown as "Kindle Content."

What the heck is with Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close? :eek: I'm going to have to go check the product description out.... at any rate, file sizes are all over the place, and 10th Anniversary is within the range for my books.

Betsy

·
Registered
568 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
What the heck is with Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close? :eek: I'm going to have to go check the product description out.... at any rate, file sizes are all over the place, and 10th Anniversary is within the range for my books.

Betsy
It's the story of a boy and his adventures using clues left by his father who died on 9/11. They actually made it into a move starring Tom Hanks.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Xopher said:
It's the story of a boy and his adventures using clues left by his father who died on 9/11. They actually made it into a move starring Tom Hanks.
No, sorry, I know what it is about (saw the movie and enjoyed it). I just don't understand why the file is so ginormous! 10MB? It's the biggest file on my PW.

Betsy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts