Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I have searched everywhere I can think and I just can't find a definitive answer to the following question.

When connecting Kindle to my computer do I leave the Kindle off or does it need to be turned on?

Thank you in advance.  I'd rather ask than take a guess and do it wrong.

debbie

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Leave it on. The only thing you want to be careful with is that the computer is done writing to the Kindle before you disconnect the USB cord. It will show you on the Kindle what you need to watch for while it is connected.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.  I read a blip that "inferred" it should be on, but nothing that implicitily said turn on first.  My MP3 player is always off before I plug it in, and so I just wanted to doublecheck with someone more knowledgable. 

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
When you want to disconnect it's best to use the 'safely remove hardware' icon in your task bar.  Or, I understand on a Mac you drag the Kindle icon to the trash.  (I know, that's a painful thought :) ) I don't have a Mac but my brother says this works.  And if it's not done talking to your computer it won't stay in the trash.  But someone with more Mac experience might know better.

Ann

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I really doesn't matter if you eject it or not. You might as well, for your own piece of mind.

If you don't the computer will only give you a warning that the drive was not ejected properly. As long as you wait until the computer is done writing to the drive, everything will be fine.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
When you want to disconnect it's best to use the 'safely remove hardware' icon in your task bar. Or, I understand on a Mac you drag the Kindle icon to the trash. (I know, that's a painful thought :) ) I don't have a Mac but my brother says this works. And if it's not done talking to your computer it won't stay in the trash. But someone with more Mac experience might know better.

Ann
I've been a Mac user/programmer for 20 years (and a PC user for 25). I much prefer to use the Apple official method of dismounting a drive by Control-clicking or right-clicking on the drive icon and choosing "Eject XXXX".

And I disagree with pidgeon92 about not needing to do this. I've had photo card directories scrambled by not dismounting them properly, even after writing was finished, and I'd just as soon not take the chance with my Kindle SD card. Safe/sorry, etc. Maybe this is specific to Macs.

Mike

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I have never lost data pulling anything USB. But better safe than sorry, I would never discourage anyone from properly ejecting.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I have had problems on Windows 2000 - messed up external drive when not properly ejecting (because it was hung up!), newer operating systems might be less problematic, but why take chances?  I'd hate to mess up my Kindle!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm a long time Mac user and I too have had problems with mounted external devices that were not properly "ejected", especially external disk drives and digital cameras. .  Dragging the device icon to the Trash is one way to do this on a Mac or you can- as jmiked posted above- Control clisk or right click on the device icon and select eject.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
SusanCassidy said:
I have had problems on Windows 2000 - messed up external drive when not properly ejecting (because it was hung up!), newer operating systems might be less problematic, but why take chances? I'd hate to mess up my Kindle!
99% of the time I connect my Kindle to my laptop which is running Vista. If I wait for the silver blinking boxes to stop and disconnect my Kindle, all is well.

Once, I connected my Kindle to my ancient desktop running Windows 2000. Again, I just waited for the blinking boxes to stop and disconnected. Windows 2000 gave me all the usual messages about disconnecting before I was supposed to and so on. I should have paid attention because after that, my Kindle went into a time warp, with a home screen from 4 months earlier. Books, samples, etc. were all gone. They weren't gone, when I looked at the files (again, connected to the laptop). A hard reset (with the paperclip) fixed everything but I did have a momentary panic attack.

Since then, I've only used the laptop to connect to the Kindle and haven't had a problem since.
L

1 - 10 of 10 Posts