Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like the last one getting on the boat, but I'm thinking about using Scrivener. I like the features, but before I invest time adjusting to it now, I'm wondering two things:
1) Can I import a nearly finished novel (from openoffice or word) into it that still has to be properly formatted? Or am I better off starting to use it when beginning a brand new project?
2) I know people used to complain about saving margins and line spacings with an earlier version or the beta. Does anyone currently have formatting issues with it that aren't resolved with KindleGen.
Thanks...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have to recommend Scrivener for the features. But to your points...
1) I wasn't able to import into Scrivener my previously finished works. I had to import in wholesale, and then format and slice it up into chapter/segments myself.
2) I haven't had this issue? My KindleGen outputs have been very clean in various formats.
I hope that helps. On the upside, the conversion is a one-time process.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I'm on Scrivener for Mac.

1. It's easy to import a file. (On the Mac version, anyway.) Most things are automatically converted to RTF, though, so it works best if you're importing a RTF file to begin with.

2. That issue you've mentioned was in the Windows beta, and I've heard it was fixed in the most recent version.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I love writing in Scrivener. Don't know what I'd do without that program. That being said:

1) I've only imported short stories from Word that I compiled into a collection volume on Scrivener.

2) I published my book about a week ago. I had the small text issues with the .mobi files generated in Scrivener. Ended up running the files through Calibre and resaving as a .mobi. That seems to have fixed the issue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I love using Scrivener..

I have imported stories from it.. didn't take me too long just had to do some test and trials.

Don't know about the publishing since I have a dedicated software for formatting my kindle books. But based on the previous responses it seems like it should work out fine. :)

Also it's super easy to get use to. Plus it's easy to customize to your liking as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts