Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello :) I currently own the K1, I'm having some difficulty deciding if I should switch to the K3, with the wifi version being only $114. It seems like a nice deal/upgrade, but I need some conformation. Anyone suggest or not suggest the switch? First, of course, I need to find a buyer for my K1. ^.^ :) Thank you!

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
I guess one thing to consider is whether you ever use the 3G.  I don't think I could give that up.  I, too, still have a K1.  If and when I do, I'll give my K1 to one of the grandchildren.

Betsy

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems I use the 3G more than I suspected, but I have wifi equipped at home and almost everywhere else I go. Not sure about the 3G switch yet, but as of right now, wifi looks good to me. I wish that I could give my K1 away to my grandchildren, but sadly I am only 17, and substantially short on cash, as most 17 year olds are. So in the end, I'll be sad to see my beloved K1 go, but I think ultimately, a K3 is more my style, for summer reading and up and coming college.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I recently made the switch from K1 to K3 and love the change. I was really happy with the K1 (only upgraded due to the scroll wheel failing) and thought I would miss things like the SD card and wondered about the battery.

Some of the things I did with my K1 was highlighting, taking notes, and looking up words. All of those features are so much better on the K3. Being able to sort books into collections was another nice benefit that wasn't available on the K1.

I was happy with how everything worked on the K1. I'm even happier with the K3.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all your helpful input :) Right now it seems to be the selling of my K1 that is the issue :/ I'm glad you're off enjoying your K3 though!  ;D

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I'd go for it if you can afford it.

The K3 screen is a lot better, and the devices is a lot faster.

The design is also much better, a lot thinner and lighter and better looking.  I hated the design of the K1 personally.  Thought it looked ugly and cheap, and I bumped the big page turn accidentally far to often.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
considering you are going to college (i am a student too), the switch will maket things slightly easier. The K3 does have collections, which the k1 doesnt. I use the text to speech to edit my essays before i take it to the writing center.  I download my syllabi to it so I don't need a printed copy and then I would also have my professor's policies and office hours with me at all times.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a very good point! I feel like the K3 is much more college ready, vs. the K1 who somewhat falls behind in those areas. Does anyone know anyone looking for a good K1? haha ;)

·
Super Moderator
67,356 Posts
I upgraded to the K3 in August when it was released. Gave my K1 to my son who liked it so well he decided he wanted a K3 too. So now I have the K1 back -- it's my back up reader. . .or lendable reader. . . .or if there's someone I find who wants one but really can't afford it, I'll happily give it to them.

With the lowest priced K3 being only $114, I think I'd suggest you concentrate on simply saving up that amount rather than hoping to offset the price with money from selling the K1. The market really isn't there for them so you're not going to get much. Maybe enough to get yourself a cover. We do have a Buy/Sell/Trade/Barter Board, though, that you can try.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Wow!  I am just amazed to see someone still using  a K1!  These things really do last a while, eh?

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
I went from a K1 to a K3 too, last August when the K3 came out. I still have my K1 though and gave it to hubby. He reads on it occasionally only. There are many things I liked about the K3 compared to the K1, display, navigation to some extent.
But I still miss the K1 when it comes to ergonomics. It was easier on my hands and for me just easier to change pages. I just have to press harder on the K3 which is harder on my wrists and hands. It feels more solid too, but then it also cost 3 times as much  :D.
Something though about when I pick up my K1. It is in my opinion much simpler in terms of just picking it up and go. The shiny magic bar is pretty cool.  ;D. It just did fewer things and fewer options means simpler navigation. Not that the K3 is difficult by any means.

Not sure though if anyone would still pay any decent amount for such a old product now. I will hold on to mine for sentimental reasons if nothing else. I still have the book style box it came in and when it dies, it will go in there and stay on the shelf.  ;D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I may have found a potential buyer, but I'm not too sure yet. I just paid a substantial amount for it when it came out and I'm sad to see it go to almost nothing :( But in the end, I think I will enjoy the K3 more, although I don't read much anymore :/ I just hope it goes to good use!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sometimes I miss my Kindle 1. I miss the way that it lay in my hand. (It was thicker on one side, so it seemed to naturally fall into a comfy position.)

Of course, I think Amazon is getting ready to release a slick, color, video-enabled tablet soon -- and I'm wondering if that means they're also working on a new release of the Kindle. So if I were thinking about buying a new Kindle, I'd also think about waiting a few months -- just to see if Amazon is about to release an even better version.

Even if all you want is a Kindle 3 -- they'll probably be a lot cheaper if you buy a used one after Amazon has come out with the new Kindle 4!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
True. Never really thought about that. I guess I don't really need a tablet; I went the laptop route when I had the choice, better for college essays and research. But those are valid points, Amazon has a tendency to screw me over when I buy their products, they release newer, better ones within a month. ;) haha!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just upgraded this weekend to a K3 from my original K1. My K1 will remain as my backup reader and we have a Nook in the family as well. My reason for upgrading was simply for the increased speed and smaller size. I just finished my first book and can say that the page turns are faster and the lighter weight makes it much easier to handle. I haven't tried the text to speech yet, but am looking forward to that since I have always enjoyed using audiobooks for my work commute. So far, I am pretty pleased with the new device, even though I am a little embarrassed at my consumeristic side that drove me to buy the new shiny bauble!! 

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nytngale said:
So far, I am pretty pleased with the new device, even though I am a little embarrassed at my consumeristic side that drove me to buy the new shiny bauble!!
I actually just bought mine today! Very nice, I must say and I am really enjoying it compared to my old K1. But I am disappoint in myself that I bought it because I felt I had to. I tried to play it off in my mind in saying, "It's okay, it's an investment for college!" hah :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts