Kindle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A recent thread on Consumerist.com has generated a lot of negative comments about the Kindle and e-books in general. Misconceptions abound. I took a stab at explaining some of the features, but I've only had my K2 about a week, so I may not have done as well as some of the more experienced users here... Anyway, I cleared up a couple of things, I hope.

http://consumerist.com/5161348/outcry-prompts-amazon-to-stop-overcharging-for-digital-edition

If you want to read all of the comments (including responses to posts), you'll have to click on "Expand All" at the top of each page of posts (an annoying navigational roadblock I'm still getting used to).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I posted this on another thread, but since its relevant.

It appears to me within the 24 to 48 hours of a new book coming out, I am seeing Kindle prices being the exact same as the hard cover price.  Not too thrilled about that discovery as this seems to be a new trend.  My wife wanted Jodi Picoult's new book "Handle with Care".  The hard copy price and the kindle price on the first day were the same at $15.37.  I noticed on Thursday evening the Kindle price dropped to $13.  This morning the price is down to the normal $9.99.  This really stinks because a lot of people want to put a book on their pre-order list and have it show up on your kindle, but you will be paying top dollar to buy like that.

Oh and FYI - my wife jumped on the $13 price, so I feel I overpaid $3 for the book.  Why would Amazon want to create buyers remorse.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
And remember, if it's within 7 days you can return the book for the price you paid, and then re-buy it.

Also, since you know it can happen, you know you're taking that risk when you buy it on pre-order.  Prices go up and down and there's no way to be sure you'll always buy at the best price.  You just have to use the information you have, make an informed decision, and be willing to accept the consequences.  That's my feeling, anyway. . .I know there have been a few books I've 'overpaid' for, but I wanted them and the price was acceptable when I pushed the button.  I may say "well, poo" if I find the price goes down, but that's about it. . .

Ann

·
Registered
493 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
I may say "well, poo" if I find the price goes down, but that's about it. . .

Ann
Priceless! Please tell me you stamp your foot when you say that! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
And remember, if it's within 7 days you can return the book for the price you paid, and then re-buy it.
I was not aware of this. Just curious how do I return a Kindle book? Also, and I know this goes down to ethics - but do I then have to rebuy at the now lower price?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think the Kindle has broke me from preordering.  I love best sellers but will now wait until they are released and make it on the best seller list.....so I can get the 9.99 price.

I had to return a book last night.  I was a little too quick on the 1-click button.  Ooops.  There was a button (I'm trying to remember where) that said "CS call me right now". It was midnight but I clicked it and inserted my phone number and they called me instantly.  Kind of freaky, actually.  They were very kind and had no problems giving me a refund.

·
Registered
737 Posts
BearsK2 said:
I was not aware of this. Just curious how do I return a Kindle book? Also, and I know this goes down to ethics - but do I then have to rebuy at the now lower price?
To return book call customer service, I haven't returned using a price decrease as reason. I will definately check price of kbook 6-7 days after purchase from now on. They may just give credit for price difference.

Whisper sync may now give C/S way to check your progress, so I wouldn't try the I d/l by mistake excuse. Let me know if I didn't like the ending works. :D

The honorable thing would be to repurchase the kbook.

·
Registered
493 Posts
cincinnatideb said:
I think the Kindle has broke me from preordering. I love best sellers but will now wait until they are released and make it on the best seller list.....so I can get the 9.99 price.

I had to return a book last night. I was a little too quick on the 1-click button. Ooops. There was a button (I'm trying to remember where) that said "CS call me right now". It was midnight but I clicked it and inserted my phone number and they called me instantly. Kind of freaky, actually. They were very kind and had no problems giving me a refund.
See it's your first post, cincie deb, welcome to the boad, and yes, that instant call-back can be kinda freaky :eek:

p.s. don't believe anything anyone here says about me--it's all lies! Everything they say about bacardi jim, however, are all true...watch out for him ;)

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Encender Vaquero said:
Priceless! Please tell me you stamp your foot when you say that! :D
No. . .usually just go :p

BearsK2 said:
BearsK2 said:
You can return a book for any reason. . .the 7 day think is, I think, because it's so easy to accidentally buy especially if doing so from the Kindle. Send an e-mail to Amazon with the name of the book and request a refund. They'll remove it from your media library, credit your card, and send an e-mail asking that you remove it from the Kindle. I think the next time you turn on WN it will automatically disappear. You can then repurchase at the lower price if you wish. I returned one that I had even looked at the sample for . . . it was a kindle help book. . . the sample was amusing and I had high hopes but the book was more amusing than helpful and the funniest stuff was int he sample so I returned it.

I think it would be kind of low to buy a book, read it in a week, and return it just 'cause you're cheap :D . . .but if you don't like it, or the formatting is bad, or it's now available at a better price, that would be o.k. I would guess that if one were to abuse the 'refund in 7 days' policy, you'd hear about it from Amazon.

Ann

·
Registered
37 Posts
The return within 7-day policy should definitely apply here.  

I've been able to get a price adjustment on other items when the price dropped within a few weeks of purchase.  I can't find the policy documented anywhere, but I have contacted customer service in the past regarding the price drop, and they replied with a refund of the difference.  Not sure if they would do the same on kindle books, but I wouldn't be surprised.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Amazon ended the price adjustment in September... They no longer refund the difference if the price drops within a month of purchase.

·
Registered
737 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
Amazon ended the price adjustment in September... They no longer refund the difference if the price drops within a month of purchase.
Oh, poop, that sucks!!! How often can you use the I d/l'd by mistake excuse? ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Encender Vaquero said:
See it's your first post, cincie deb, welcome to the boad,
p.s. don't believe anything anyone here says about me--it's all lies! Everything they say about bacardi jim, however, are all true...watch out for him ;)
Thanks for the welcome. I spent a few days lurking and observing the local wildlife.......hopefully that'll help me figure out the lies and scary people................ ;)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
There's just so much wrong with all those comments (to the posted article). I was going to reply, but didn't feel like typing out a huge rant that ultimately no one will read, heh. So I'll preach to the choir.

What's bothering me most about the Anti-Kindles is they simply don't get it.

Misconception 1: I can only read content from Amazon, at whatever prices they choose.

WRONG. The Kindle supports darn near every format, and you get a clear listing of what's on it when you plug it in to the computer. It's ridiculously easy to simply drop your own content right on it. Even if you can somehow no longer use the document conversion service, you'll be fine, see next...

Misconception 2: I'm locked into Amazon's DRM. If they stop supporting Kindle, I'm screwed.

WRONG. As indicated above, you can manage your Kindle right from the computer. You don't have to worry about losing your purchases, since you can back them up to your own computer. Your Kindle will always read the stuff you bought, just back it up! Also, so long as there are "proprietary" formats, there will be third-party utilities to read them. Before I even got a Kindle I was using Stanza to convert documents back and forth from ALL the various eBook formats. Even if Amazon suddenly goes out of business, you'll still be able to get and work with the content you've purchased.

The other thing that baffles me is how much people will insist on the DT versions. eBooks are green! Just like people are finally starting to realize that fuel efficiency is important, somehow people just have a mental block when it comes to books!

Think about this: Go into your local Borders, and really *look* at how much paper is in there. After you've thought about how many trees had to die (ok, to be fair there are a lot of renewable paper resources out there... we're not talking about rainforests) to print all those books. Now think about how heavy all those books were, and then think about how much gas was expended getting them to you.

It boggles my mind that environmentalists haven't been crusading for eBooks all along. We so often tout the "paperless office" as an ideal to aspire to, why not the "paperless home"?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Tell us how you really feel, akjak  ;D

I agree, though, so many people blast the Kindle with such ignorance that it's pathetic.  They probably got their (false) information from an equally uninformed DTB purist.  And the argument that reading books and newspapers is mostly about sniffing them and having cheap ink rub off on your hands just makes me laugh.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
marianner said:
And the argument that reading books and newspapers is mostly about sniffing them and having cheap ink rub off on your hands just makes me laugh.
I still read paper books. . . .have a lot around here and they are ones I want to read so I do/will. But I totally agree about newspapers. . . .they're a pain in their paper format. . .they're really big, so unless you fold them up it's hard to read. And it's impossible not to get inky fingers. And then if the article is continued on page X35 you have to flip through. . .or just skip it. I still read the Sunday funnies but really enjoy reading for actual NEWS on my Kindle.

OTOH, they're really good for starting the fire in the wood stove. :)

Ann

·
Registered
42 Posts
akjak said:
It boggles my mind that environmentalists haven't been crusading for eBooks all along. We so often tout the "paperless office" as an ideal to aspire to, why not the "paperless home"?
All the way back to '03 I've been dedicated to going "paperless". It's not about home or office. Paperless is the key. When I worked in an office proper, I was hired to make it paperless. In my own office, now, all paper is printed on front and back - including faxes - and I discourage any form of paper transmission, to or from my office, unless it arrives and then leaves my office to go back where it came from. If I have to print it or receive it on printed paper I'm really annoyed unless it is a specific item that can be utilized no other way.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
pghaworth said:
All the way back to '03 I've been dedicated to going "paperless".
Ooh, me too! I don't care for paper at all.... Most of my bills now are online so I don't get them anymore... Signed up with GreenDimes to reduce my advertising and catalogs in the mail.... Got a ScanSnap scanner so I can scan any documents I need to keep and shred them right away.... I love this scanner, it is one of the best things I own.... It is sheet fed, so if you have something lengthy like a tax return, it just zips through, and it scans both sides of the paper....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts