Kindle Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks, everyone. I'll try to contact Millenia. Meanwhile, I've started searching for an agent to potentially handle foreign rights (I thought I was finished with queries a year ago--haha, the laugh's on me!) and replied to the Turkish publisher.

ARVO Basim Yayin does seem to be legit (knock on wood) and from what I've seen, are buying rights in multiple genres, and from trad-pubbed authors as well as indies.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Thanks, Cate, for pointing me to your thread and for emailing. I'll keep in touch on this.

@foreverjuly--I PM'd you also, since it seems the three of us share the same situation of having been contacted.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Cate Rowan said:
They were seeking info on Kismet's Kiss. I want to be giddy, but also cautious. (So my :D is fighting with my ???.) I think the publisher (ARVO Basim Yayin) has contacted several other KBers over the last year or so.

I did spot these links: http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=66864.0
and http://normapplegate.blogspot.com/2011/07/indie-author-released-in-turkey.html

The publisher has a website, but Google Translate only goes so far. Based on the second link in particular, I'm guessing the company is legit, but... Have any KB authors here actually been paid yet? Anyone know which agents have actually worked with this particular company? (I let my agent go several years ago, so if this goes forth I'd want to find another one--or an IP attorney--to handle foreign rights contracts.)

Thanks for any light you can shed!
Cate, one of the Ridan authors was contacted by a Turkish Publisher (not sure if it is was the same one or not). I put them in touch with Michael's foreign rights agent. One thing she did mention is that particular country was not great about paying for royalties even when "legit". I'll ask her about this particular company in general to see if she knows any more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You guys are so funny. This is the real Norm Applegate. I'm kinda use to Norma. Every now and then I get a letter and it's addressed that way. I guest in some databases the "n" has been dropped!!!! I got a kick out of the sex change operation, that is how rumors start, I laughed. Whoever wrote that, it was pretty funny...I ready did laugh, I mean really.
So I was contacted by a Turkish publisher for three of my horror novels. The first one, Into the Basement has been translated, edited and given a new title "Sadist." I think the editor reached out to me because "Basement," is #1 on Amazon's Kindle Graphic Novels>horror, and has been since March. It was #1 on AmazonUK but has since started going up and down within the top 5 positions, maybe it's peaked in the UK??? They did an excellent job on the cover. If you go to my website www.normanapplegate.com you can see it. One morning on Facebook I received an email from the woman who translated the novel. She just wanted to reach out to me and introduce herself. So far they have kept me in the loop and did everything they said they would. We'll see what happens! Oh yeah, I did see today, Sadist is available on numerous Turkish websites.

all the best
Norm

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just discovered this thread as I've just been approached for Turkish rights to my books too. Does anyone have any more info since the last posts? If anyone with experience could answer here or message me, that would be great.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The company has stopped responding to my emails after an initial offer that I asked for clarification on and hasn't sent payment for at least one other writer.  I would tread cautiously...

-Joe

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for that. Sounds about what I expected. Anyone else heard anything?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update on the Turkish publisher. I received copies of my novel. Took a couple of months but today Saturday Oct 22 four books arrived. The original packaging had been opened. I thought I was getting five books, think someone stole one in the Turkish post office. I can google Sadist, on Turkish websites. I've received physical copies..but yet to be paid!

Hope that those of us that have been contacted by ARVO.

all the best
Norm

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Philip Chen said:
I just received a message from a person purporting to be a Chinese publisher wanting to publish Falling Star in China. I said no. I think that these "foreign publishers" are the next Nigerian Letter. Please be careful folks.
Philip, I'm not so sure they're bogus. I got the same offer too, as did Kathleen Valentine, Christopher Bunn, and Deborah Geary. I was very pleased to be in their company (and yours).

Threads was translated into Italian, and I was approached the same way - by a translator who asked permission to translate the book. She then turned literary agent after translating a number of books in addition to mine, AND SHE SOLD THEM. That's how I happened to have two agents at once, for a while.

These Chinese offers are from a big translation firm in Beijing, and their address puts them in the "diplomatic district" where one might expect rents to be high and translation firms to do a brisk business. They also own a magazine. There is some issue with e-books in China right now - I can't recall the details. But they see a market, and are approaching Western authors for translation rights so they can upload them as e-books. They're apparently using Amazon readers to vet the books, rather than editors and such.

I spoke to other authors, and to a lawyer who helped me through the analytic process:

* How many books can I expect to sell in Chinese if I do not sign? = none.
* How important are Chinese rights to me for the next three years (the term of the contract)? = not very
* How easily could they simply pirate my books and sell them in Chinese without my knowing? = easily
* Yet they are offering me a contract and a cut (30%) of sales = okay with me
* What do I have to lose? = not much that I can think of.
* How easily could I enforce the contract? = not very easily
* What do I have to lose after I take that into account? = still not much that I can think of compared to what I could possibly gain.
* What is the upside? = bragging rights to translations (it's a perception thing)

The lawyer said it's simply a question of how risk-tolerant I am. I'm pretty risk tolerant because I took the chance once before, and got a check, some sales in Italy, and five copies of the book in Italian. It was really real.

I also like the perception thing; it counteracts the risk. So I signed.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts