Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time yesterday I got an email from a company selling amazon 4 and 5 star reviews. I've heard about these companies for so long but never actually seen how brazenly they do what they do. No name and no link here as I've no desire to promote them.

In their email they play to an author's hopes and self-belief, sent ostensibly from a fan, recommending the author do more 'promotion'. 'Your book can be a huge success if you just promote it more!' Crazy. And their prices are astronomical:

10 reviews- $150
50 reviews- $500

Surely amazon is catching out their cache of paid-reviewers? I thought this kind of thing was getting nailed down more and more.

Naturally I have no intention of using them. I don't have that kind of money for 'promotion'. I wonder if this direct mail fishing for author 'clients' is common though, and are other people getting reached out to by similar outfits?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I've read about other authors getting something similar from people who find their books on Goodreads, and I suspect authors get targeted from other places. Same as getting a review complaining about typos, with an offer to edit the book for a small fee.

Who knows how many newbies fall for this kind of thing, but they should be aware that paying for reviews is against Amazon's TOS, and can have serious consequences.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Forward to KDP.

I have seen some reviews like that.  They pretty much just copy the blurb.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts