Kindle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
67,739 Posts
The nice thing about a ToC is that it means that there are dots on your progress bar that give you an idea of how long each chapter is.  So while I almost never would use a ToC in a fiction book to jump around, it is a good indication of how much longer to read to a 'stopping place'.  And it is helpful if the kindle has a hiccup and you lose your place.

They're usually placed at the beginning, which is fine, but keep in mind that a sample is something like the first 10%.  You want to be careful that you don't include too much stuff that isn't the story. . . . .if I get to the end of the sample and am still in the ToC or other front matter, I'm probably not buying the book. 

A ToC or index is fairly necessary in a book that's non fiction as it's not meant to be read, necessarily, from front to back.

·
Super Moderator
67,739 Posts
gatehouseauthor said:
That being said... I encourage everyone to click all the way through to 100% and rate the book at the end. Gives you a shot to rate it without doing a full review, and tweet about it. I've been trying to do that more often, myself.
Note that the 'rating' is not reflected on the Amazon book page or averaged into the book's rating via regular reviews. It's only reflected in the 'your collection' listing you can access via Your Account. But that is helpful for me so that I know whether I read the thing or not. ::)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.