Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read this over on the Amazon board and thought it was interesting.

I've started reading the K2 manual, and here's a gem! The K1 had a hidden "autoturn" feature, which let Kindle turn the pages for you. Unfortunately, it was =really= fast. I read quickly, but even at the top font, it was hard. When the T2S (Text to Speech) feature is being used in the K2, you can see the pages turning so you can follow along. You can also control the speech speed. So, it appears that if you turn the volume down, you can read the book with controllable autoturn! That would be great at the gym, for example. The information is on page 11 of the K2 user guide, which is here: http://s3.amazonaws.com/kindle/Kindle2_Users_Guide.pdf .

I wonder (and will be checking) just how adjustable the speech speed is. On my ipod it's only 3 speeds (normal, slower, and faster).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Benjamin said:
Only prob with that, is that even though the volume will be alll the way down, itll still burn through the battery faster.
Another test to conduce. How long will it take to drain the battery using Text-to-Speech. With Whispernet turned off, I bet you'd still get pretty good battery life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
K1 has it, but you can't adjust the speed. Unless you read superfast, it really only works well with the larger fonts.

With the K2's Text-to-Speech, it may mean that the autopage turning has an adjustable speed since you can speed up or slow down the Speech and the Kindle turns the page while it's reading.

I know several people who are interested in a controllable auto-page turn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
K1 has it, but you can't adjust the speed. Unless you read superfast, it really only works well with the larger fonts.

With the K2's Text-to-Speech, it may mean that the autopage turning has an adjustable speed since you can speed up or slow down the Speech and the Kindle turns the page while it's reading.

I know several people who are interested in a controllable auto-page turn.
Ahhh, I understand. Sorry! I was not comprehending what I was reading. Makes perfect sense now. I would definitely want to be able to control the speed of the page turn to work with the size font I like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,131 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
I just read this over on the Amazon board and thought it was interesting.

I've started reading the K2 manual, and here's a gem! The K1 had a hidden "autoturn" feature, which let Kindle turn the pages for you. Unfortunately, it was =really= fast. I read quickly, but even at the top font, it was hard. When the T2S (Text to Speech) feature is being used in the K2, you can see the pages turning so you can follow along. You can also control the speech speed. So, it appears that if you turn the volume down, you can read the book with controllable autoturn! That would be great at the gym, for example. The information is on page 11 of the K2 user guide, which is here: http://s3.amazonaws.com/kindle/Kindle2_Users_Guide.pdf .

I wonder (and will be checking) just how adjustable the speech speed is. On my ipod it's only 3 speeds (normal, slower, and faster).
Thanks, luv. It is very cool that the pages turn as text to speech is working. I was wondering about that.
Also, the manual shows three speeds: default, slower, faster but there's no telling yet how fine the adjustments are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,465 Posts
luvmy4brats:
Great investigative reporting.

I am the one who reads K1 on the treadmill and doesn't want to have to "up" the font size to keep up with the 9 second page turns. I am very comfortable with size 4 font. Oh well, you can't win them all. I kept K1 and I surely will manage. I can't wait for everyone to get their K2s. I am so happy for all. I hope they love it just as much as I do my K1.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,456 Posts
That's an interesting find, brats. (Or should I call you "luv"?)

My guess is that the fastest T2S speed is going to be too slow for a silent reading pace. That is just a guess, but I believe your speed of silent reading is much greater than a spoken reading. It's a cool idea, though. It depends on how much difference is in those T2S speeds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
As some one who just ordered my first Kindle I have to say I'm very excited about it and the research done by Luv and all you other guys here at Kindleboards makes it that much more exciting, you all obviously love the first gen and it makes me feel better about my own purchase. :)

thanks to all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,465 Posts
Harvey:  You know how we select alt and a number to turn on auto-page feature on K1; couldn't it be possible to alt and a different number to vary the speed (if the powers that be were feeling generous)?  Would that be a software fix?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,456 Posts
sjc said:
Harvey: You know how we select alt and a number to turn on auto-page feature on K1; couldn't it be possible to alt and a different number to vary the speed (if the powers that be were feeling generous)? Would that be a software fix?
Yes, I would think that it is a software feature and not dictated by device hardware.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top