Kindle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Don't know how many of you use the Mobipocket Creator to convert pdfs to prc to put on your Kindles, but I've been wondering if people encounter the same things I have.

Before I got Grimoire, Tor was offering a good number of books for free through their newsletter as a buildup to the release of their new content site. I downloaded a bunch as pdfs (now I more intelligently download the prc versions) in preparation of getting my Kindle. Some of them have converted beautifully with little or no errors. Others have had some weird things happen.

One book (The War of the Oaks by Emma Bull) was the strangest. Every two to three pages I would get an image of the last page that I read. The Kindle treated these as images and not text. Once I figured out what was happening, it was easy enough to hit the next button a second time when I knew the image pages were coming up (they took a little longer to load). I tried reconverting a couple of times, but the same thing happened each time.

Another one (Old Man's War by John Scalzi) actually became an interesting experiment in reading. Due to the way that the chapter headings were formatted in the pdf document (and the original book as far as I know) the formatting and chapter breaks did not survive the conversion process. It wasn't until I was about seven chapters in (I checked in the original pdf my progress) that I noticed that there hadn't been any chapter breaks, everything just flowed together. It became interesting as I was reading because the scene would abruptly jump to something else.

The final thing that happens sometimes with converted books is that the OCR software used for formatting sometimes misreads the letters, using 1 letter when 2 were used originally, or vice versa.

Anyone else come across any strange or amusing things with converted files?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I was lucky enough to get the ones from Tor in .prc format, since I already had a Kindle at the time.  I have had some PDFs that probably had the title and author at the bottom of some of the pages, since these would show up randomly in the middle of the text.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts