Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like a handy little utility, since Amazon will convert .doc files to Kindle format and the .pdf conversion seems to be unreliable.
http://www.pdftoword.com/

"Using our PDF-to-Word conversion technology, you can quickly and easily create editable DOC/RTF files, making it a cinch to re-use PDF content in applications like Microsoft Word, Excel, OpenOffice, and WordPerfect.
Best of all, it's entirely free!"

Sharyn

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Thanks, i was needing something like this for something else

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I tried it out tonight. I sent it a 1.7 megabyte PDF file and it returned  13.8 megabyte Word document that takes 45 minutes to load (I've had to do it twice). There's a glitch in the process somewhere, as the Amazon, Stanza, and Acrobat conversions each produced only an approximately 1.3 meg file on this same document

I haven't repeated the experiment yet.

Mike

·
Registered
126 Posts
jmiked said:
I tried it out tonight. I sent it a 1.7 megabyte PDF file and it returned 13.8 megabyte Word document that takes 45 minutes to load (I've had to do it twice). There's a glitch in the process somewhere, as the Amazon, Stanza, and Acrobat conversions each produced only an approximately 1.3 meg file on this same document

I haven't repeated the experiment yet.

Mike
Wow that's a long time to upload the file. I would not use it if it was that long for one file.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Not only that, the conversion wasn't any more accurate than the one that Stanza or Calibre does. Even Adobe Acrobat (the one that creates files, not the Reader) does a pretty poor job of exporting PDF to Word or RTF. We're talking just straight text here, not anything with illustrations or figures.

So I'm still looking for a solution to the PDF to Kindle translation.

Mike

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I've been using MobiPocket Creator for over a year. It has the same failings as the other converters do, at least in the items I've converted. It sticks words together and puts paragraph breaks right in the middle of sentences. Very annoying. It also has trouble with some quote characters, substituting garbage characters instead. It has also, on occasion, changed font sizes unpredictably.

That said, it's probably the most reliable converter around for the stuff I do. But I still have to hand tweak virtually everything, some minor, some major.

It could also be that my expectations are much higher than they should be. ;D

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts