Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
308 Posts
dgaughran said:
This is an AMAZING idea.

Great to see a way that indie writers and indie booksellers could work together for the benefit of both.

Dave
And not only the Indie booksellers, either....imagine going into your local downtown bookshop and browsing in the paper book section or online, and then being able to buy a book on a card right there and then...with profits going to keep the bookstore alive...and the author fed, too, of course.

· Registered
308 Posts
I have a feeling that Smashwords and others may not like the idea that ebooks are free on their sites but that the cards are sold...especially since the authors may make more using this system than with their royalty systems.

It will be interesting to see how this evolves.  Our own Mr. Chen may have been right when he said something like ...being an Indie is like playing the old version of Pong and always struggling to keep up with the new versions of the game as they are brought out....(or something like that).

Actually, it's beginning to feel more like a game of chess.

· Registered
308 Posts
I've been chewing on this all day, and even went into the local ex-pat bar to ask if they'd be willing to carry a stock and sell them for me...no problem.

Now...not ever having put anything onto Smashwords, yet, and so not knowing about the details....what's to stop anyone from pirating books and doing the same thing?  This sounds too easy for anyone to do...what's to stop someone from copying a book, putting it onto an ebook site, then grabbing cards from it and selling them?

· Registered
308 Posts
It's a nice way to give a gift of a book, and if the card comes with nice packaging...it could almost look like a real book, with all of your information right there on the cover and inside.  As Mr. Smith points out, it could be free and transferable, just like when you buy a paperback and give it away after reading it...and then perhaps the reader would go looking for other works by the same author.

I think I'd like to get a gift like this.  I'd also like to be able to buy this as a gift for someone...easy to buy and mail to the recipient.

As an ordinary reader, one that already shops online for books, this might be a 'impulse buy', which can't be bad for sales for any author.

So....if sites such as Smashwords and Amazon think about this, it could be a great thing for them, too.  Sites could offer writers a choice between an ebook card or a paper copy, and charge accordingly...same as now with Createspace.  After all, what's to stop someone ordering a hundred copies of their book on Createspace and then selling that book for as much as they like?

The bulk buying power that the big sites have might make the entire card thing a very good deal even for the authors, it might be even less expensive to go through your ebook site than to go out and do it on your own, if TPTB think this out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.