Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a Corgi so bad, but aside from knowing that the Queen has some, can anyone tell me any pros/cons?

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I have always said if I wanted a little dog, I would get a corgi.  Several friends have them (one even breeds them), and they are cheerful, good dogs.  They are herding dogs, so they will herd kids!  I have even seen corgis in agility!  I have never heard one thing bad about them from my friends.

I would want one because of their perpetual smile and those adorable ears.  Can't imagine being sad with one of those faces around.

·
Registered
674 Posts
My good friend has had a Corgi for many years that she got through a Corgi rescue group. Penny is a wonderful dog. She barks when she needs to go out, but also minimally and appropriately when someone knocks on the door. she makes friends with everyone and is very good with children. The only cons I can come up with is that she got fat when they first got her,which was hard on her bones. They have had to be careful of not overfeeding her - which is true for most breeds. She also demands daily playtime such as fetching frisbees or chasing a ball - but that's also a pro as it's good exercise for her owner and also a lot of fun!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
My best friend and constant companion for most of my childhood was my 3/4 Pembroke Corgi Nicky. He had the sweetest nature, was good with children, let the cats boss him around. Corgis have the deep bark of a much larger dog, and Nicky was a good watchdog.

Edited to add: found a photo of Nicky.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone. You're backing me up on this one.  :D  Ironically on the front page of MSN today they posted a video titled, "Corgis get out of jail" and it was a Corgi opening the latch on a crate that housed another Corgi.  Sounds to me like they're pretty smart little fellows.  Now I just have to convince the other half...  ;D

·
Registered
700 Posts
One of my best friends had two.  They were polar opposites.  One was barky and intense--wanted to play, play, play.  The other was very laid back, calm and quiet.  Lots of shedding.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
We have a Corgi! She just turned 9 a few days ago. She has been a sweet and fun dog! She is very smart and as others have said, she is a great herding dog...and yes, she will herd kids....and other dogs! We also have a black lab mix that is now 11 and she has "mothered" him since we got her. She helps herd him as well. As with other dogs you do have to watch their weight since they don't have much room between the floor and their bellies. ;D We had also heard that a lot of stairs are bad for them because of their long backs, so we do watch that. They are very friendly dogs and are great with kids. She will bark if someone comes to the door, but she wouldn't attack them unless they did something to one of us.She would rather make a friend and have someone pet her! She loves attention of course. The funniest thing people find about her is the lack of a tail...it takes people a while to understand she's not supposed to have one. The only con that I can think of is some potty-training issues...and I'm not sure if that was her fault or ours. Oh, the other con is shedding.....yep, it can be heavy at times, but it is always there. She's been a great dog and I would definitely recommend one!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a beautiful picture, KindleGirl, as is the one of Nicky.  I'm going to have to try not to mention the shedding if I'm going to make the 'sale'.  :)  I so want one!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I have two Cardigan Welsh Corgies. They are called the Corgi with a tail. They are fierce shedders too. Cause there is no off switch when it comes to eating, you have to keep their weight in control to keep the strain off of their backs.
But the pros way out number the cons. These are the smartest dogs I have ever had and they are so loving. Cooper looks a lot like my avatar and he loves to play. If you don't play with him, he will find a way to engage you in play.
I don't consider them to be small dogs. They are medium sized dogs with short legs. And Cooper thinks he is a big dog.
I don't think you would regret it if you get one.

Edited to add a picture. Sorry about the eyes, but this is the best one I have that I can attach.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have a corgi mix i pulled from a shelter the day he was going to be put to sleep. He was heartworm positive, which is probably why he was still there, he was small and cute. He was turned in by his owner. When my vet XRayed to see how bad his heart was (pretty bad) he found an old bullet slug in his shoulder and one in his liver. Caesar is one of my sweetest dogs! He does shed a lot and he can be yappy, but he adores me and loves to cuddle. We do struggle with his weight because i have 7 dogs  

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
mamiller said:
That's a beautiful picture, KindleGirl, as is the one of Nicky. I'm going to have to try not to mention the shedding if I'm going to make the 'sale'. :) I so want one!
"no shedding" was on my list of wants too when we were researching what type of dog to get. But the more we researched the more it kept pointing to the Corgi as the best fit for our family....plus how can you resist their smiling faces? It's hard to be in a bad mood around them since they are always smiling at you. The shedding is kind of a pain, but you get used to it just being there.

Here in our area it was hard to find a Corgi breeder that had some available when we were looking, so we ended up having to find one in another state and drive there when she was ready to "come home". It was a fun trip though....the kids had fun getting her puppy supplies/bed/crate ready for her and planning the trip to go get her. We took pictures along the way and the kids will always remember that trip. Ooops, got sidetracked on a trip down memory lane....

·
Registered
794 Posts
We've had two--they were brothers/littermates and we raised them from pups. One (Jasper) was a tri-color, the other (Nigel) tan/white. Jasper passed away a few years ago, Nigel this past April.

They were wonderful dogs: intelligent, easily trained, obedient, very loyal and loving.

They do shed, but regular brushing keeps it manageable. Be aware that they can be prone to losing use of their legs (especially hind legs) in their senior years.

WPG

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am absolutely loving the pictures on this thread. Thanks so much everyone. Some of your tales are tugging at my heart.  Kindlegirl, from what I've seen I will have to travel far as well.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
mamiller said:
I am absolutely loving the pictures on this thread. Thanks so much everyone. Some of your tales are tugging at my heart. Kindlegirl, from what I've seen I will have to travel far as well.
Good luck finding one and know that the travel will be worth it. I don't envy you the puppy training, but they are such adorable puppies....I'd love to see that stage again. If you get one, you have to post some pictures!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
In my experience only - corgis have an irritating tendency to assume that they know better than humans. Much like cats, really. ;D

My first refused to act as a traditional guard dog - she would bark only at people she knew were dodgy. Other people, complete strangers, she'd let in without a token 'ruff!'. It was quite irritating. :) Sadly, she wasn't actually as smart as my cats, who assassinated her - knocked a bag of chips off the bench when we were in bed, she got her head stuck in the bag and suffocated. :( All without waking anyone. :(

(if anyone thinks I'm going overboard to label my cats assassins, two months later a cat was killed by a glass bottle knocked off a bench onto his head. There was one seriously bad-ass cat in that bunch)

My second was a lovable guy that I rescued from the local shelter. Absolutely charming, but very, very domineering. I'm quite up-to-date with dog psychology and the like, but this guy was a constant struggle, he insisted on challenging for pack leader status at any opportunity. GAH! I've never met a dog more convinced that he's 6' tall and could run the world. He, however, was far smarter than my cats, and lived to die of old age.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts