Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last evening, I was sitting at the kitchen table reading, and my daughter said, "Mom, what's wrong with your Kindle?" I looked at it and it appears that the upper right corner has "opened up" or separated. The plastic looks a little bent or wavy. I have no idea how this could have happened! I have not dropped my Kindle. It travels from here to there in my purse, spends the night next to my bed and is basically within a hand's reach from me at all times.

Do you think this is worth a CS call? Right now, it doesn't seem to be affecting my Kindle's performance in any way. The opening does come down to the volume button, but the volume still works (I just tested it on some text-to-speech).

If I call CS, will they give me a new one? But then I worry about getting one with fading text, having to deal with the licenses on my books, getting a new skin, etc. I am happy with this Kindle, but at he same time, I don't want the back to fall off!

Opinions wanted. Help!

L

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Wow, Leslie!  That's scary....  Has it been anywhere and gotten warm?  The Oberon looks curved underneath it, too.

I'd call CS.  You don't have to give up your Kindle just because you call...and you could probably wait to send back your current one (name?) until you get one to your liking....

Betsy

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I also vote call CS.  Not something I'd want to wait and see what happened. 
deb

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Betsy the Quilter said:
Wow, Leslie! That's scary.... Has it been anywhere and gotten warm? The Oberon looks curved underneath it, too.

Betsy
I can't think of anywhere where it would have been warm -- warm enough to warp plastic, that is. You're right, the Oberon does look a little curved but that's more the way the corners bend in. It looks a little off because I took the bungee off for the picture.

L

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Aaah, that's right you have corners. (Velcro girl here.)  Hmmm. I hate to say it, but could the corner have been too tight?

Betsy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Betsy the Quilter said:
Aaah, that's right you have corners. (Velcro girl here.) Hmmm. I hate to say it, but could the corner have been too tight?

Betsy
No, I don't think so, especially because the corner that is opening up is the one with the bungee, which isn't tight at all.

L

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Have you tried just snapping it back together?

Ann

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ann in Arlington said:
Have you tried just snapping it back together?

Ann
Oh yes, that's the first thing I did. There's nothing "snappy" which is why I don't understand how it opened up.

L

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Leslie said:
Last evening, I was sitting at the kitchen table reading, and my daughter said, "Mom, what's wrong with your Kindle?" I looked at it and it appears that the upper right corner has "opened up" or separated. The plastic looks a little bent or wavy. I have no idea how this could have happened! I have not dropped my Kindle. It travels from here to there in my purse, spends the night next to my bed and is basically within a hand's reach from me at all times.

Do you think this is worth a CS call? Right now, it doesn't seem to be affecting my Kindle's performance in any way. The opening does come down to the volume button, but the volume still works (I just tested it on some text-to-speech).

If I call CS, will they give me a new one? But then I worry about getting one with fading text, having to deal with the licenses on my books, getting a new skin, etc. I am happy with this Kindle, but at he same time, I don't want the back to fall off!

Opinions wanted. Help!

L
So sorry your Kindle has a boo-boo!

I definitely think you should call about this, Leslie. Ask them to overnight you the replacement and you can check it out to see if it has any problems before you send your original back. Amazon usually wants to make things right. You might have to go through a few, but it's better than staring at a separated corner or having it get worse with time.

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Leslie:

I know what you mean. My Kindle 1 has a slight crack in the Previous Page bar. It doesn;t effect operations, so I try to ignore it. But worse still, the charger's tip (the little black portion of the charger) broke off inside the kindle and is stuck in the battery port. Now, when I charge it, and it has been charged for 18 months non-stop (never discharged), the adpater needs to be flush inside or the 'lectricity doesn't go into the thing. Now, the port holds the charger in place much of the time, so I'm not alarmed, but I bought 2 spare chargers, and they won;t work, because they have their black tips. Luckily I have 6 spare batteries (I figure one for every five years). But I do worry that one day the charger will stop cooperating and a new charger isn;t an option - then it will be fading text Kindle for me.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
581 Posts
Mine was like that out of the box.  I was able to get it to close a little but not all the way.  It doesn't cause any problems and like you, I am afraid of getting one with worse problems if I return it.  I never even notice it anymore. 

Edit: I just checked mine and it isn't as bad as yours.  If you can't get it to close any more than that, I would call CS.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Leslie, call CS.  You have not had that K2 for 3 months yet!  The opening is going to allow dust into the case and that is not going to be good for longevity.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cat616 said:
Leslie, call CS. You have not had that K2 for 3 months yet! The opening is going to allow dust into the case and that is not going to be good for longevity.
Oh, good point -- dust.

Its 2 month anniversary was on April 25th -- 4 days ago.

L

·
Registered
545 Posts
Leslie, this doesn't completely surprise me as this is exactly what I was worried about with the two Kindles I sent back with loose corners (lower left).

Call CS. No way that should happen. The strap on that corner is no where near tight enough to do anything at all much less warp the case. Time for them to send a replacement!

EllenR

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would call asap because the thing is practically brand new and that shouldn't be happening. If other people have had the problem it is something they have to address.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I agree with everyone else - call CS and then let us know!

buena suerte

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was going to mention dust too but someone beat me to it.  A crack that big allows dust and other things to get inside and could cause bigger problems down the road.  I agree with everyone - you should call CS and see what they say.  Maybe someone else has had this problem too.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts