Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
Ebooks are already available for lending. Or do you mean some big database of ebooks working like an online library but with a monthly charge?

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dara England said:
Ebooks are already available for lending. Or do you mean some big database of ebooks working like an online library but with a monthly charge?
I'm not sure of all the legalities. But with the number of ereaders and tablets and smartphones and the projected future sales it occured to me that someone might try something like renting ebooks. Like movies or DVD's. Amz is already renting college textbooks for less than their price. The infrastructure would have to be vast and lower priced ebooks would not be financially feasible (easier just to buy), but higher priced ebooks (+$15) might work. I am sure within the next few years someone will come up with that service.

I'm not clear how publishers and authors would react and I'm sure there will be lending limitations etc. The structure could really hit publishers hard and I'm sure they would fight it unless the money for them was right.

·
Registered
604 Posts
It would be nice, but rights management and royalties would be a problem with literally thousands (tens of thousands?) of self-publishers involved.  Also, if you look at the Kindle Store isn't it really a sort of pay as you go version of Netflix.  The only real difference I see is you're paying by the book not by the month.

How much a month would you take to sell "NeteBoox" the rights to one of your successful ebooks so that they could send it to as many of their customers as asked for it during the month?  How much for the right to do it forever?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts