Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had migraines for most of my adult life, which are triggered by a multitude of factors, from weather to food, from A-Z.  As best I can, I don't allow it to interfere with my lifelong love of reading. 

I'm considering purchasing a Kindle, but wonder if the flash during page turns will trigger a migraine for me.  (I have less concern over the display itself because it's not backlit. For example, computer monitors are a problem for me.)

Bright flashes (as from a camera) or high-speed editing and/or fast forwarding of films or TV segments are some triggers that necessitate my looking away to avoid a migraine.

Do any of you suffer from migraines?  How does the Kindle compare to books for you?

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'm extremely headache prone, and while I don't get typical migraines, I do get severe headaches from eye strain and pretty much everything else that can cause a headache.

I have noticed no headaches from the Kindle, in fact it's better than a regular book for me.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have an occasional migraine, not sure what triggers them. To answer your concern about the "flash" during page turns- it's not really a flash per se. The screen does not get brighter like any sort of flash, rather, it goes blank (dark) for a split second and then the next page appears. I have found my Kindle to be very easy on the eyes especially since you can change text size.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I do not suffer migrains so I can't help there. When the page flips it is not a bright flash. It is nothing like a camera flash or fast forwarding in a movie. I would say that the flash is actually darker then the page itself.

You can buy a Kindle and try it. If you think that it is triggering your migrains, you can return it for a full refund in the first 30 days.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I used to get migrains if I would read without my reading glasses (I also suffer migraines from bright light as well) but since the kindle I have not had to use my reading glasses and can read longer than with my glasses and still not headach! 

theresa

ps: my reading glasses were to prevent headachs and not for magnifying the print. I could see the print fine but would get a headach reading it without the prescription glasses. The kindle is the only thing I can read without glasses at the same print level as a dtb without glasses.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I have migraines and have never had a problem with the Kindle. I've had control of my migraines for several years, but certain smells and lights can still trigger them.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I do suffer migraines.  They can be brought on by light, flash, or glare among other things, so I understand what you are concerned about.  I have not had one triggered by the Kindle.  There is no flash when pages turn because there is no light in the Kindle.  Actually I think there might be less chance  because the contrast is a little more subtle than with glaring white paper.  I am always very careful about what kind of light I read in, and avoid glare on the Kindle screen.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
If you tell the Board where you are located, you might find a Kindle owner close enough by that you could actually take a look at one.
I know I'm always happy to show mine off.
Andra

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
BeKinder said:
I've had migraines for most of my adult life, which are triggered by a multitude of factors, from weather to food, from A-Z. As best I can, I don't allow it to interfere with my lifelong love of reading.

I'm considering purchasing a Kindle, but wonder if the flash during page turns will trigger a migraine for me. (I have less concern over the display itself because it's not backlit. For example, computer monitors are a problem for me.)

Bright flashes (as from a camera) or high-speed editing and/or fast forwarding of films or TV segments are some triggers that necessitate my looking away to avoid a migraine.

Do any of you suffer from migraines? How does the Kindle compare to books for you?
Welcome Bekinder! Please got to the Intro/Welcome Board and tell us more about yourself. I know there are others that want to extend a warm welcome to you. Book klubs in The Book Corner!

I've suffered from migraines since I was in my late teens. The kindle has not caused me to have any migraines and I read it everyday several times a day.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Greetings, BeKinder!  And welcome to Kindleboards!

I do suffer from migraines - as well as cluster headaches, and epilepsy.  I am extremely sensitive to light; both the migraines and the epilespy can be triggered by a flashes, flickers, or strobes.

I've had my Kindle and used it every day for nearly three months now and have had no problem whatsoever with it.  In fact, I actually prefer it to regular paper books.  When reading a paper book I can only read for an hour or two before getting a (regular non-migraine) headache due to eye strain.  But with my Kindle I literally never have to stop reading because I never get a headache from using it; it's actually easier on my eyes than a regular book.  I got into a book the other day and I read for 16 hours straight!!  It was great!!  I haven't been able to read that much since I was a kid.  Because of the Kindle I've read more in the last 3 months than I have in the last 15 years - and with no reading or device induced headache!  Woo-hoo!!!!

-Xia-

·
Registered
860 Posts
I am a chronic migraine sufferer and didn't realize until you asked this question that I haven't had a migraine since I got my Kindle for Christmas!  Amazing!  I don't think I'm cured or anything but maybe being on-line less because I'm reading more, IDK.  

So for me, it hasn't caused a migraine and may have even helped my migraines.  I normally get them in clusters where I don't have any for a couple of weeks and then get one or two a day for a week or so.  I haven't had a migraine in almost six weeks!!!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I suffer from migraines, mostly caused by the computer.  Kindle has not caused any migraines to my knowledge.  My eyes do not strain to focus on the words like they do when I'm on a computer.  The pages are more like a regular page, no backlit screen (wonderful).  Added plus is you can adjust the letters size.  I'm glad my hubby bought me a Kindle.  :)  Welcome to Kindleboards!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now this is what I call a welcome!  Thanks everyone.  You've more than convinced me the Kindle won't be a problem.  In fact, it sounds like it will be preferred. 

I ordered the Kindle immediately.  I didn't need much prodding.

I'll sign back on to say "hi" later and get acquainted.  Everyone here is so friendly.  I didn't even know if I'd get a reply.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
This is a good group of folks. Everyone is very welcoming. If you are ordering today you are going to be spending some time in the Waiting for my Kindle threads.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
BeKinder said:
Now this is what I call a welcome! Thanks everyone. You've more than convinced me the Kindle won't be a problem. In fact, it sounds like it will be preferred.

I ordered the Kindle immediately. I didn't need much prodding.

I'll sign back on to say "hi" later and get acquainted. Everyone here is so friendly. I didn't even know if I'd get a reply.
Congrats! You will not regret it. If you ever have a question, everyone here is very helpful. :)

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
KindleMom said:
I am a chronic migraine sufferer and didn't realize until you asked this question that I haven't had a migraine since I got my Kindle for Christmas! Amazing! I don't think I'm cured or anything but maybe being on-line less because I'm reading more, IDK.

So for me, it hasn't caused a migraine and may have even helped my migraines. I normally get them in clusters where I don't have any for a couple of weeks and then get one or two a day for a week or so. I haven't had a migraine in almost six weeks!!!
Cluster Migraines are no fun I could go a month or two without them and then suddenly, I'm have 2-3 a day, sometimes lasting a week or 2 or even more.

·
Registered
860 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
Cluster Migraines are no fun I could go a month or two without them and then suddenly, I'm have 2-3 a day, sometimes lasting a week or 2 or even more.
Doesn't it seem like there should be a cure for migraines by now? They are so debilitating - think of the productive time lost. :-[ Not to mention the pain and the stress on those who live with sufferers. :p

Your clusters sound like mine. A lot of people think once I get the headache and it's over, I'm done. Nope. I had cycle last almost a month one time. I tried every remedy/cure I could find. They finally just stopped on their own but I seriously wanted to die.

I hate headaches.

·
Registered
294 Posts
KindleMom said:
Doesn't it seem like there should be a cure for migraines by now? They are so debilitating - think of the productive time lost. :-[ Not to mention the pain and the stress on those who live with sufferers. :p

Your clusters sound like mine. A lot of people think once I get the headache and it's over, I'm done. Nope. I had cycle last almost a month one time. I tried every remedy/cure I could find. They finally just stopped on their own but I seriously wanted to die.

I hate headaches.
Migranes are usually neurological in nature, so pretty much there is no "cure" for migraine headaches. You can really only treat the symptoms.

I've had migraines since I was little, but never got truly diagnosed with them until I got diagnosed with multiple sclerosis a couple of years ago (migraines can apparently be one of the non-specific symptoms of MS)

Migraines are NOT headaches. Migraines are worse than headaches.

One of the triggers for my migraines is a flash of light. I really hate it when I'm in a restaurant, happily eating dinner when some doofus across the room from me pulls out a camera and starts flashbulbing their friends, with that flash facing in my direction. It usually ruins my dinner. (and makes it difficult for me to drive home)

I've yet to actually get up and ask these people to either stop taking pictures, or just turn their flash off. (you dont always have to use the flash) Maybe next time it happens, I'll ask the management at the restaurant to ask them to turn the flash off.

My other triggers are certain loud noises (small children screaming is one) and certain types of foods.

I love my kindle...and it loves me. Has yet to cause me any pain, except maybe a handstrain from holding it to read. (I really need to get a bookstand)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts