Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps someone more clued-up than me could explain what happened. ETA. SEE CONFLICTING REPLIES FROM CREATESPACE #21 AND #25 first they say it's genuine, and then they say it's not :mad:

My proof copy from CreateSpace is overdue, but I wasn't too worried because we've had a postal strike. However, today I received this email from
Berry, Cynthia <[email protected]>.

USPS .COM

Notification

Our courier couldn't make the delivery of parcel to you at Febuary 5th
Print label and show it in the nearest post office to claim your parcel.

Download the attachment. Print out the Shipping Label NOW

USPS | Copyright 2015 USPS. All Rights Reserved.

I'm usually very cautious, but my previous proof copies have come via a courier, and some companies use local couriers (and the spelling error seemed to be a mere typo) so it seemed genuine as I also checked the USPS website. It was a zip file and not realising this I tried to open it. My techno neighbour established that the email address had nothing to do with USPS and we scanned the computer and found an x flight virus.

Was this a phishing scam, or did someone know I was expecting a parcel?

I've heard of another writer whose Amazon account was hacked, so this has me concerned.

ETA I've contacted CreateSpace and am awaiting a reply.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I doubt it has anything to do with Createspace. I got similar emails, claiming they're from FedEx or something, but I don't use that email address for Createspace or anything that needs shipping, so I knew they were viruses. You were just unlucky that you got this email while you were waiting for an actual shipment.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
That definitely looks like a phishing scam to me.

If you are waiting on a Createspace delivery, you can go to the CS website and check your order and it'll have a link to the shipping tracking number.  Do it that way rather than ever clicking on a link in an e-mail even if you think the e-mail s legitimate.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes -  like some of of the others above, I receive that type of email all the time, plus emails supposedly from FedEx, UPS, PayPal and numerous banks. I use Thunderbird which allows me to just download the email headers only, before deciding whether or not to download the body. Needless to say, just delete all of them off the server.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Jan,
That did not come from Createspace.    It is just a scam.  The email address is the giveaway.    Just ignore it.

Also airline tickets are a scam. 

·
Registered
993 Posts
SevenDays said:
I suspect it's a random phishing thing. I get those all the time, whether I'm expecting packages or not.
This. They probably send out millions of these in hopes of catching someone who actually is expecting a parcel.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The problem is that she already clicked on the attachment which was a virus. Not sure what you are using on your computer but www.malwarebytes.org is excellent at removing viruses and they have a free option.

In the future it is best if you never click on an email link and always type in the address in your browser.

·
Registered
11,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mark Dawson said:
Bad grammar = scam.

You'd think they'd hire someone with an elementary grasp of the language, right?
That's my usual thought, but if it came from a local company there are a lot of English second-language employees, so that's not so unusual.

·
Registered
11,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RhondaW said:
The problem is that she already clicked on the attachment which was a virus. Not sure what you are using on your computer but www.malwarebytes.org is excellent at removing viruses and they have a free option.

In the future it is best if you never click on an email link and always type in the address in your browser.
Thanks. I'm using Bitdefender, but for some reason not all the protections were switched on. I'll have to be extra vigilant from now on ::).

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Hey Jan,
Silly question.  When did the United States Postal Service (USPS) start delivering to South Africa?   
Seems like a long commute to work.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
A real message like that would tell you the tracking number, which will have also been in you CS shipping confirmation email.

You just had the bad luck to get phished while you were actually expecting a package.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Just so you know:

There is another scam. Be careful before clicking on any emails that 'supposedly' come from Fed Ex. People who have clicked on the fake Fed Ex email have been held up for a $300 ransom to get their files back.

·
Registered
11,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just had this reply.

Thank you for contacting us regarding the message received regarding your order.

I tried contacting you at the number *************** with no success.

Furthermore, I can confirm that the message you received is from a USPS representative. If you are not sure who USPS are, they are the United States Postal Service. It is vital for the shipping carrier to have your contact information, especially if there is an issue delivering your package. If Cynthia Berry has provided you with a contact number or email address, please let her know that the Shipping Label she has attached does not seem to work.

Please do not be afraid, as your personal information has not been jeopardised by having the carrier contact you via email.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Natalie
CreateSpace Member Services

Hmmm. Will report back later if I finally get the proof copy.

ETA Have just phoned the PO and they confirm a parcel is waiting - but I have to pay custom's duty of R27.00 :eek: :mad:.

SEE SECOND REPLY FROM CREATESPACE Reply #25 :eek:

·
Registered
11,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have picked up the book from the PO and did not need the email attachment as my ID was sufficient.
My tech adviser is going to look further into the email attachment.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts