Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, out of curiosity, I decided to check out Arizona State University's website, and found an article on the Kindle DX. So they're going to pick a select number of students to participate in the program, eh? So, I'll return to my question, could you see fights brewing?

I could see a student saying, "Oh, what makes him/her so special that I can't have one myself? I'm a student here too!" It was a thought. Do you see something like that happening? :p

To quote one doctor:

"I was an early adopter of the Kindle and thought one could mount most of the Humanities and Social Sciences curriculum on it," says Humphrey. "I could not be more excited at being among the first to begin adapting it to classroom use." I would add: "I'm gonna carry a taser and a can of Mace with me as well. Hey, you never know, right?"

Here's the article by the way:

http://asunews.asu.edu/20090506_kindle

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LaraAmber said:
It's not like the jealous student couldn't just order one straight from Amazon, they just won't get a free one. (Would the free ones be permanently the students or would they have to return it after a set time period?)

Lara Amber
You know? That's a good question. I didn't think about that. I attended St. John's University in Queens, New York, and they have this program where all incoming freshmen and transfer students get free laptops (I was a transfer student, and I didn't get one!). The students, however, don't really keep the laptops. When the student graduates or decides to transfer to another institution, he/she will have the option to either return it or purchase it. I'm thinking they'll do something similar to that.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I imagine they'll be used in very specific courses and everyone in that class would get them.  That way they can say these students got the Kindle DX because of the class they took.  This would also ensure all the books for the class were available and that they could design a positive experience among the students.  Also nowhere does the article say they'll be free.  I'm betting the cost of the class will either include the Kindle or it will be a requirement for the course itself that the students have to buy and agree to buy in order to take the course.  You don't get supplied a camera in a photography course after all, and students are always suckers for alternative fun classes so they won't be short on sign ups.

·
Registered
685 Posts
At least one of the colleges, I think it was Princeton, has already said that not everyone in the classes where they are used will receive a Kindle.

They plan to have some students use Kindles, while other ones still use hard cover books. That way they can run a study to see whether the Kindles provide any advantage for the students.

·
Registered
9 Posts
ElLector said:
You know? That's a good question. I didn't think about that. I attended St. John's University in Queens, New York, and they have this program where all incoming freshmen and transfer students get free laptops (I was a transfer student, and I didn't get one!). The students, however, don't really keep the laptops. When the student graduates or decides to transfer to another institution, he/she will have the option to either return it or purchase it. I'm thinking they'll do something similar to that.
Does not compute. Did you tick off an admission's officer?

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I can see where that might get a bit messy  :eek:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sugar said:
I can see where that might get a bit messy :eek:
Haha, yeah.

So this is a study the university's are doing? Hmm...I don't know. Well, if it's a study, I'm sure Amazon wants its textbook e-book program to work, and I'm sure they will find any means to prove that it does work, even if it fails.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts