Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Cats are going to get onto counter tops... if not when you are watching, then when you aren't. I resigned myself to it years ago. I keep the countertops clean, but even so, I have a surface I put down before putting food there.

Mike

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Best remedy I ever heard about, but haven't had to use, is to cut pieces of that plastic that goes under desk chairs (that has the little bumps), and put the pieces bump side up on the counters.  No cats.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, Mike, I agree-- you choose your battles. And you can reduce the number of places cats "lounge" by providing legal alternatives (as suggestd in the video, etc). And yep, Spotsmom, one of the suggestions is using the clear plastic carpet runners nub-side (pointy!) up on the couners.  ;D The desk chair runners would work as well.

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
I've never found a way to keep cats from going where they want to go. Ours always waited until we were asleep to hop up onto the kitchen table and counters. They liked to drink from the sink. LOL

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
My cats get to go and jump where ever they want. They run the house after all. I mean, come on. They sleep with their butt up on my pillow next to my head, so why would I worry about countertops.  :D. Mine don't really jump on the kitchen ones, one does on the bathroom. The other is too, um big boned to manage  ;D.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
The cats can get on the counters if they want, I don't care...I have bleach. It cleans their cooties well enough...

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
First, I have to admit I'm a dog person. Having said that...

I understand the allure of cats. But the thought of them walking on my kitchen counters with the same feet they just walked in the litter box with seriously creeps me out.

"My cats don't get on the kitchen counters," my friends say. No, your cats are just smart enough not to do it when you're watching!

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
4Katie said:
"...the thought of them walking on my kitchen counters with the same feet they just walked in the litter box with seriously creeps me out..."
Even 'da Cat agrees with this.....my pets are outdoor only and I take my shoes off when I come inside....(country living)

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's why you train them to stay OFF the countertop and give better opportunities.  ;D I suspect that human babies being potty trained (or doing other "kid stuff") also prove challenging and creep-out-worthy, LOL!

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's something you learn to live with when you have cats in the house. But if you still want to try to keep them off, lay strips of masking tape on the counter where they jump up, sticky side up. It's entertaining, at least. ;)

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Aislynn Archer said:
"...lay strips of masking tape on the counter where they jump up, sticky side up. It's entertaining, at least. ;)..."

Giggle....

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
But if you still want to try to keep them off, lay strips of masking tape on the counter where they jump up, sticky side up.
But then you have strips of masking tape, sticky side up, on your counters!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The only times the cats seem to get on the counters is when we are foolish enough to leave something up there they'd like to have-- ie bread or other things.  We try to keep the counters as boring as possible and if we see them up there they are firmly scolded and they get down quickly.  Do I think it's 100%?  Of course not.  But it works enough for us.

My mom used to let her cat get on the counter all the time and it would kind of gross me out.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well....as I said in the video at the start of the tread, get Sticky Paws (or other double sided tape) and put on place mats--you can situate those on any counter or table without damaging the furniture. *s*

1 - 17 of 17 Posts