Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tell you!  Kindlitis is a sickness...  I am now trying to save money.  Not because of the economy, but to put into my Kindle book fund.  I ordered a pizza and decided to go pick it up instead of having it delivered to save $4.50 that could go into my Kindle book account.  I have deferred going out to dinner with the thought that I could buy 2 books for the cost of dinner out.  Anyone else think of money in Kindle books?

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Yeah, count me in. I just sold one of my M-Edge covers here on the board this afternoon and I had the person who bought it pay me with an Amazon Gift Certificate.

I cashed in all of my change at a coinstar booth and applied it to my Amazon account.

I've been taking $5-$10 a night off the top of my tips and setting it aside for books and accessories.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I do all the time. Here's my thought process...

1) What will the total cost be?
2) How many Kindle books is that?
3) Do I really need this item?
4) Put it down, go think about what book I'm going to download instead.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Teach142 said:
I tell you! Kindlitis is a sickness... I am now trying to save money. Not because of the economy, but to put into my Kindle book fund. I ordered a pizza and decided to go pick it up instead of having it delivered to save $4.50 that could go into my Kindle book account. I have deferred going out to dinner with the thought that I could buy 2 books for the cost of dinner out. Anyone else think of money in Kindle books?
No, but that's a great idea.

G

·
Teach142 said:
I tell you! Kindlitis is a sickness... I am now trying to save money. Not because of the economy, but to put into my Kindle book fund. I ordered a pizza and decided to go pick it up instead of having it delivered to save $4.50 that could go into my Kindle book account. I have deferred going out to dinner with the thought that I could buy 2 books for the cost of dinner out. Anyone else think of money in Kindle books?
..and spent $6,00 in gas oil and depreciation on he car...Just kidding. I know what you mean. I do this with almost anything I buy even before I ordered a Kindle.

I look at something I want to buy then I think how long did I have to work to pay for it? Will the enjoyment of the item or service outlast the dullness I had to endure to get it.

books are a good value usually because they don't cost that much and last me a good while unless it's something like the Spiderwick Chronicles.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I used that Flip 'n Switch promotion (someone posted here) and sold my old iPhone and got $126 which will come to me in Kindle giftcards! Woo-woo!

I don't do this but someone posted on the Amazon board...she pays herself to do laundry. She keeps a jar by her washer and for every load of laundry she pays herself 50 cents. 25 cents for the dryer. That could add up fast for change for the coinstar machine.

L

·
Registered
325 Posts
Leslie said:
She keeps a jar by her washer and for every load of laundry she pays herself 50 cents. 25 cents for the dryer. That could add up fast for change for the coinstar machine.

L
My mom's house rules included that any change found in the pockets of items in the laundry basket automatically became hers. I guess it's one way to make money off of laundry.

I don't worry about how much I spend on the books, I just look at how much my sweetie spends on DVDs in a week, and I don't feel bad. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the laundry idea.  Unfortunately, I am single, so I can't justify paying myself to do my own laundry.  I won a Kindle on another site and was offerred an amazon card or paypal cash.  Took the cash(I had just bought my mom a Kindle the week before), and put it directly into my personal amazon account.  I can have $359 in books!  I did buy 2 M Edge covers first!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Leslie said:
I used that Flip 'n Switch promotion (someone posted here) and sold my old iPhone and got $126 which will come to me in Kindle giftcards! Woo-woo!

I don't do this but someone posted on the Amazon board...she pays herself to do laundry. She keeps a jar by her washer and for every load of laundry she pays herself 50 cents. 25 cents for the dryer. That could add up fast for change for the coinstar machine.

L
Would you tell me about the Flip 'n Switch promotion, please?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I take a set amount out of every pay check.  From there I see what I can get for that.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Teach142 said:
I like the laundry idea. Unfortunately, I am single, so I can't justify paying myself to do my own laundry. I won a Kindle on another site and was offerred an amazon card or paypal cash. Took the cash(I had just bought my mom a Kindle the week before), and put it directly into my personal amazon account. I can have $359 in books! I did buy 2 M Edge covers first!
That is awesome.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Teach142 said:
I like the laundry idea. Unfortunately, I am single, so I can't justify paying myself to do my own laundry. I won a Kindle on another site and was offerred an amazon card or paypal cash. Took the cash(I had just bought my mom a Kindle the week before), and put it directly into my personal amazon account. I can have $359 in books! I did buy 2 M Edge covers first!
Wow, you won a Kindle? Where?

L

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I won it on booksummit.com.  I was so excited!  I had just bought my mom a Kindle the week before.  So, now she is ragging on me that her Christmas present was free.  I did buy her an MEdge with the winnings.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Teach142 said:
I won it on booksummit.com. I was so excited! I had just bought my mom a Kindle the week before. So, now she is ragging on me that her Christmas present was free. I did buy her an MEdge with the winnings.
I can imagine being excited! I would be beside myself.

I wonder if we have any members--or will get any members--who were in the audience at Oprah's show? Or have all those Kindles ended up on eBay?

L

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I gave up smoking  2 packs a day = $405 a month. So I have money for books and getting the dog groomed (Thanks to not smoking I can now smell her) and spending 84.11
on a  cover for "The Kindle"

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
tessa said:
I gave up smoking 2 packs a day = $405 a month. So I have money for books and getting the dog groomed (Thanks to not smoking I can now smell her) and spending 84.11
on a cover for "The Kindle"
And you are healthier, too, so you'll live longer and be able to enjoy all those books you are buying!

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Teach142 said:
How about starting a thread to see if any Oprah winners are out there?
I have been keeping pretty close track of all the welcomes and hellos. I would imagine if we had an "Oprah-receiver" she would have mentioned it.

L

1 - 20 of 24 Posts