Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A potential cover for the first part of my planned multi-part true romance / erotica stories.

I'm planning on self-publishing the first story - mostly backstory - in the next few days.

Any feedback is welcome - thank you!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I like the art, but I think your typeface is going to be difficult to read at thumbnail size. I'd also advise mixing it up. Use a larger typface for the title, perhaps one that sets a bit tighter and has fatter verticals. Your "volume one" info is kind of stuck over to one side. If you are wanting to do a series, I'd make that maybe a header at the very top with a strip of color behind it. Is it supposed to be an autobiography? Just curious.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Summer, I think your cover image looks great! However, when you take it down to thumbnail size (which is important, as that's what most people will see when they first get to look at it) the text rather disappears, so I'd suggest making it bolder. Also, not sure of the "Volume One.." text being at that angle and having the same significance (currently) as the other text.

Again, great image, just think about the text impact - especially the title.

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Love the image. I agree with the other folks here about the font. The angle of 'volume one' isn't working well for me and your text could be bolder and clearer. Make your book seem proud of its title! :)

As I said, though, I really like the image.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The picture is fantastic.  Not only a pretty woman, but exotic, and the angle is wonderful.  It's indeed a cover you would click on when browsing.  The text works for me, but it may need to be thicker *edit: thicker? I meant bolder, duh*.  Those darn kindles have such small images, and it may be hard to read.

Best of luck,

Gregory

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DD Graphix said:
Is it supposed to be an autobiography? Just curious.
Semi-autobiographical let's say. 90% truth - 10% fantasy. The first in a series outlining the series of adventures I've had over the past year or so. ;D

Great advice from everyone about the font sizes / titles / etc.

Thank you all so much for your valuable time!!

Summer

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Changed the font to make it stand out a little more and removed the tilt for the Volume One: Losing Control text.

Updated cover image

Any better? Worse? Still not quite there?? :D

Thanks again for any and all advice / help / and constructive criticism!!

Summer

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Great picture. So I wonder if Summer's Journey is the title of the series, and the title of the book is Losing Control. Will, like, volume two also say Summer's Journey on the top?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
summerdaniels71 said:
Changed the font to make it stand out a little more and removed the tilt for the Volume One: Losing Control text.

Updated cover image

Thanks again for any and all advice / help / and constructive criticism!!

Summer
I like the first font better. For what it's worth.

·
Registered
343 Posts
summerdaniels71 said:

Updated cover image

It's still not going to be legible at thumbnail size, but that's the case with many cover titles, some of them from big-name publishers.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Volume One: Losing Control could be just under the title and a little smaller but overall, great improvement.  I'm assuming the series is called Losing Control and title is Summer's Journey.  I agree the font in the first was better, but I think the readability on a small thumbnail has gone way up.  Good work!

Photoshop?  Between Photoshop and Royalty-Free websites, making a cover is quite simple.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jon Olson said:
Great picture. So I wonder if Summer's Journey is the title of the series, and the title of the book is Losing Control. Will, like, volume two also say Summer's Journey on the top?
Jon,

Yes - that is correct. Summer's Journey is the title of the series, with the title of the first story being Losing Control.

Hmm ... how about this - a subtitle of sorts that speaks to it being a series ...??

One more time!!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gregoryblackman said:
Volume One: Losing Control could be just under the title and a little smaller but overall, great improvement. I'm assuming the series is called Losing Control and title is Summer's Journey. I agree the font in the first was better, but I think the readability on a small thumbnail has gone way up. Good work!

Photoshop? Between Photoshop and Royalty-Free websites, making a cover is quite simple.
Gregory,

I think I'm leaning back towards the first font - if only because they both aren't entirely readable at thumbnail size. The series is called Summer's Journey - with the title of the first story being Losing Control. I added in some text at top that now says "A True Romance / Erotica Series" ... so that it being the first part of a series is more evident.

Not Photoshop - but PowerPoint actually ... :D

Summer

·
Registered
305 Posts
You need to have differences in the font size and weight to emphasize different aspects of the cover. It's totally up to you of course, but unfortunately if I saw that cover I would immediately think "amateur." Powerpoint is a very limited program to get the look you want. I don't want to pimp but if you do want extra help feel free to contact me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts