Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this is the wrong spot. I read a blurb of an interesting sounding book. Then I saw the cover art with an extremely heavily tattooed character. I lost interest at that point. It made me think so the questions.

Do you think you lose readers if neither character on the book cover has tattoos?

versus

Do you think you lose readers if one or both characters on the book cover has tattoos?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Meh, I think it's the kind of thing that's too much on the viewer to be quantifiable. For every person who doesn't like that cover, someone else will be neutral, and someone else will specifically like it. Plus, tastes change and you never know what will be popular next month. I wouldn't mind it on a cover myself.

·
Registered
20,203 Posts
it's funny, but when i read the thread title, i thought it was authors tatooing their cover art on to themselves.

·
Registered
Writing the next books in my Martin Billings series.
372 Posts
I'd imagine that your reaction to tattoos on the characters is more extreme than most folks. I'm curious why that would affect your buying decision, however? Do you avoid movies with tattooed actors? These days that won't leave you much to watch.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It depends on the level of interest I guess. It's not an absolute but does have an impact. Just curious what others thoughts and experiences are and have been.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
What was the genre? Niche?

I write a lot of "bad boys." I'm sure highly tattooed models turn off some readers but they attract many others. Most of the models oh my covers are more lightly tattooed but for practical reasons. It's hard to find those pictures with heavily tattooed models/couples. And tattoos added in PS don't look quite right.

When I'm looking at a book, I don't really consider tattoo level, but I'm sure it sends a subconscious signal about the characters. In general, I like (nice) tattoos as a sign of free thinking and willingness to step outside social norms. But it can mean "generic bad boy" in romance.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

Lol. I used engineered tattoo ink as the trigger event for a zombie apocalypse series ;)

Occupational and age demographics cleanly split the line for acceptance or rejection of tattoos. Who are you selling books to and what are their interests in tattooing?

When I was a kid, my father told me stories of WWII POWs getting skinned for their artwork, it made such an impression I remain tattoo-less.

Like any art form, tattoos can be inspiring, sexy, revolting, or just plain odd -- but always a permanent commitment.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
What was the genre? Niche?

I write a lot of "bad boys." I'm sure highly tattooed models turn off some readers but they attract many others. Most of the models oh my covers are more lightly tattooed but for practical reasons. It's hard to find those pictures with heavily tattooed models/couples. And tattoos added in PS don't look quite right.

When I'm looking at a book, I don't really consider tattoo level, but I'm sure it sends a subconscious signal about the characters. In general, I like (nice) tattoos as a sign of free thinking and willingness to step outside social norms. But it can mean "generic bad boy" in romance.
I'd see a lot of tatted up dudes in the bad boy romance novels that were a big deal a couple years ago. I haven't checked that genre / subgenre in a while, so maybe that's changed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts