Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote my first new adult romance last year -- WHEN IN PARIS... and this was the cover. I absolutely adore this cover. I thought the graphic artist did a great job. Couldn't have been happier.

The problem was my next two covers in the series. I tried to get images I liked like my first cover but it's unbelievable how hard it is to find a blond male hero with a brunette heroine -- that was for the novella. Then I needed a green-eyed brunette for the third book and she had to be stunning. Here's what I found.

Now my first cover sticks out like a sore thumb, right? So I had the cover artist change it and we came up with this:

What do you think? Did I do the right thing. My fans love the first cover and so do I but I wanted a continuity between all the covers in the series. Plus the books -- for new adult romances -- are on the sexier side. Make sense? Or should I have left things alone? With self-publishing, there's always the option to change it again.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
They're both gorgeous! The new one does promise more "sex" though, so you probably made the right choice.  :D  They're still similar enough that I bet some people wouldn't notice the change.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I changed mine as well. I used to have Illustrated covers that I liked a lot - as did my readers - but I felt the series needed a make-over and a more cohesive look so I changed them all while I was writing the 3rd novel (and 4th installment) in the series. The comments that came back were mixed. But in the end - the cover change attracts new readers and gives your novels that glue that makes them all go together well. I'm quite happy that I did it.

I think you made the right choice.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. :) I've also been getting that the first cover looks more rom com, sweet, which is definitely not the tone of the book.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
As I said on the thread at Romance Divas, I'm not a fan of the particular image used for the couple in the third book (they're quite a bit nekkider than the couples on your other books), but I do think this new version fits with the ton of your book and series much better.

As much as I ADORE your first cover, its screams "romantic comedy" to me, not sexy New Adult. I never in a thousand years would have guessed it was a sort of coming-of-age-through-sex New Adult book, so the branding with the rest of the series is spot-on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts