Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone! :D

I've had a ton of people contacting me asking me who did my book covers. Well, I designed my own!

Since so many people have been asking about it, I'm now offering affordable cover design services!

http://www.tarashuler.com/cover-design-service/

Covers start at just $50 for eBook covers and $125 for print covers.

I'm also offering custom 3D illustrations, like the one seen on my covers for Shelter and Storm.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've seen some CGI covers that I thought looked terrible and some that looked excellent.  Like any other medium, there will be bad and good artists. 

A list of "do not use" fonts....now that would be useful!  I bet "Bleeding Cowboys" is on it!

Angelina

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I know that computer-generated covers got a bad reputation in the romance genre a few years ago, when Ellora's Cave was using Poser covers almost exclusively.  They looked atrocious.  I would guess that computer design has come a long way since then, however.

ETA: I must have posted on the wrong thread, as I thought I was responding to something someone else wrote here, but that post is clearly not here.  Ergo, wrong thread.  My apologies.  Carry on, and good luck with your cover design services. :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a note:

I use regular stock photos on most of my cover designs. The 3D illustration is just for those who DO want it, since a lot of people have commented on how much they like my illustrations on my covers.

·
Registered
782 Posts
EllenFisher said:
I know that computer-generated covers got a bad reputation in the romance genre a few years ago, when Ellora's Cave was using Poser covers almost exclusively. They looked atrocious. I would guess that computer design has come a long way since then, however.
It has come a very long way. I use Bryce (DAZ 3D now) with mine, and you just can't tell the difference in some since they've made vast improvements with the IBL lighting. I actually prefer a computer generated scene from scratch that depicts the abstract aspects of the concept, to a poorly-chosen stock photo that doesn't.

Oh, and I still don't like most Poser renders. Even though we've made vast advances in graphics with lighting and textures, still, you can spot a CGI person a mile away, especially in those video games. With shadows and lighting and textures, reflections and refractions, sometimes even my trained eye has a hard time telling the difference, but stick a Poser person in there and it's a dead give-away.

I think that was my post to which you responded, and because I shared my experiences with someone who doesn't like CGI and was very vocal about it, I think that's why it was removed. I'll send the OP a PM, PDQ. :D

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
opuscroakus said:
It has come a very long way. I use Bryce (DAZ 3D now) with mine, and you just can't tell the difference in some since they've made vast improvements with the IBL lighting. I actually prefer a computer generated scene from scratch that depicts the abstract aspects of the concept, to a poorly-chosen stock photo that doesn't.

Oh, and I still don't like most Poser renders. Even though we've made vast advances in graphics with lighting and textures, still, you can spot a CGI person a mile away, especially in those video games. With shadows and lighting and textures, reflections and refractions, sometimes even my trained eye has a hard time telling the difference, but stick a Poser person in there and it's a dead give-away.

I think that was my post to which you responded, and because I shared my experiences with someone who doesn't like CGI and was very vocal about it, I think that's why it was removed. I'll send the OP a PM, PDQ. :D
It was removed, because you clearly mistook me for someone else. I have NEVER bashed CGI. I use it myself, so why would I?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Tara, I read opuscroakus' post, and I'm pretty sure she wasn't mistaking you for someone else-- she was just referring to what someone else had said on the topic.  Unfortunately, the post has been removed, so that's impossible to confirm, but that was my strong impression.

I'm glad I didn't have the wrong thread, anyway. :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EllenFisher said:
Tara, I read opuscroakus' post, and I'm pretty sure she wasn't mistaking you for someone else-- she was just referring to what someone else had said on the topic. Unfortunately, the post has been removed, so that's impossible to confirm, but that was my strong impression.

Her original post said "So, beware." and also said I had not posted any of my "design credentials". It was definitely directed at me, although I really have no idea why.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I thought she said the person she was referring to-- not you-- hadn't posted their design credentials.

In any event, it's been deleted, so there's no point in debating it, I suppose *shrugs*.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Tara Shuler said:
Her original post said "So, beware." and also said I had not posted any of my "design credentials". It was definitely directed at me, although I really have no idea why.
I believe that there was a misunderstanding. I read the post, and she wasn't saying anything to discredit you or insult you. She words in CGI too. She was saying to beware of another poster who bashed CGI in another thread.

It was just a misunderstanding.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JeanneM said:
Will someone tell me what CGI stands for? I see the term a lot and haven't a clue. ???
CGI stands for Computer-Generated Imagery. It's like the 3D image I created for the book covers in my sig, and other similar computer-generated images.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Tara Shuler said:
No, it "definitely"wasn't. I said that it was another poster who constantly posts to design threads. You said you don't. Comprehension, much?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
opuscroakus said:
Wow, don't WE think highly of ourselves.

IT WASN'T ABOUT YOU.
The PM I sent you was a very polite request for clarification.

All you had to do was tell me that. You certainly didn't have to resort to telling me I had a "head injury" or telling me I needed to "take medication".

·
Registered
782 Posts
EllenFisher said:
Tara, I read opuscroakus' post, and I'm pretty sure she wasn't mistaking you for someone else-- she was just referring to what someone else had said on the topic. Unfortunately, the post has been removed, so that's impossible to confirm, but that was my strong impression.

Right.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts