Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I'm getting ready to launch my third book A Riff of His Own, next week. It's a Christian fiction novel. Would really like to get your input on my cover design (as we all know that's what gets people to begin having any interest in your book to begin with really, I think).
Link is to it's place on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=160564234008849&set=a.157931827605423.36793.156885134376759&type=1&theater

I couldn't figure out a way to paste it into the message here. Sorry.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Overall, I like it.  However, when you redid the title, the street background surrounding the words is not in sync with the rest of the image.  You can really see it by the letter "N" -- there's a dark vertical mark, and the street lines are disconnected.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn! Can I steal that from you?! HAHA That's look s much better than what I had! Thank you so much! How'd you get that done? I've been using paint.net...

·
Registered
604 Posts
I like the perspective of the photo, it does look a little bit stretched vertically, but not excessively. The suggested image by Javier is good, and if you do something along that line yourself and remove the current text block and start from the original image the slight mismatch in the pavement won't be there. I think it doesn't look nearly as good as a thumbnail, all the great detail in the full size cover gets lost. I used Gimp to scale the image, couldn't get the facebook link to display it 125 high - I think the '?' in the link messed up my attempts.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Jeff,

The street scene is too busy.  Even with Javier's excellent improvement, it remains too busy.  I wouldn't give the book a second chance based on the cover, even with the improvement.  Simplicity is essential.  This cover breaks all kinds of rules regarding composition (see Victorine's excellent link to a study of focal point in paintings), and it just isn't appealing or inviting because of the extreme complexity.  I would recommend finding a much simpler design for your cover.

I would be grateful for your input on my cover, posted here on Writers' Cafe.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm no expert in Photoshop or similar programs, I have enough to write, heh, heh.

For the cover of my book I have had outside help, I hope you like it.

Regards.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Pearson Moore said:
Jeff,

The street scene is too busy. Even with Javier's excellent improvement, it remains too busy. I wouldn't give the book a second chance based on the cover, even with the improvement. Simplicity is essential. This cover breaks all kinds of rules regarding composition (see Victorine's excellent link to a study of focal point in paintings), and it just isn't appealing or inviting because of the extreme complexity. I would recommend finding a much simpler design for your cover.

I would be grateful for your input on my cover, posted here on Writers' Cafe.
I agree with Jeff. Just too busy. Maybe something simpler. Also it doesn't convey a Christian feel if that's what you want.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't really like the black box around the title and your name but the cover looks great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I always remind myself, after doing a cover, to make sure the design looks good at the Amazon thumbnail size. Some fonts just don't look good at smaller sizes, especially ones with skinny profile strokes. When it comes to perspective text effects, such as with your "A Riff of his Own" cover, the title is hard to spot at thumbnail size with it laying so flat. I don't know what version you ultimately went with, but other than that one thing, I do like the cover.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think the cover looks great. But just by looking at it, I'm not sure what the book is about. That's a criticism I get often for the cover of my novel. Just something to think about.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts