Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Kboards. A couple weeks ago I ran the blurb for Project Solaris by the community to see if there was interest. Yay, there was!

Over the intervening two weeks I've cranked out nearly 70,000 words and should be done with the 1st draft Friday. Yes, that's the fastest I have ever written and I doubt I will ever burn through a project like this again. It's been wonderful getting a chance to write, because I've spent the last few months editing two novels back to back.

Anyway, I've attached a rough draft of the cover here. What do you think? Any suggested Changes? I'll be going back to the designer this evening with feedback. For what it's worth I love it, but it's always good to get other opinions =)

Note: This is designed by Glendon at Streetlight Graphics who is the man.

Here's the blurb again for those curious:

I write software at a startup in Silicon Valley, where Google is king and Elon Musk holds court. I have my dream job, but I also have a secret.

We are not alone. The last time I was taken I was fourteen. Three weeks ago I had my twenty-eight birthday, and part of me knows that they will soon come again.

I devoted my life to technology so I'd be ready when they returned. I know others have prepared too, and I will find them. Together we will harness the abilities they have given us.

We are Project Solaris. It's time to fight back.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I like the cover a lot, and it thumbnails nicely.

The only things I'd mention are that it's a bit dark, and the contrast is too low on the title, especially the bottom word. Also, although your tagline (or subtitle?) calls it a thriller, your blurb implies aliens have been kidnapping the hero for experimentation, and nothing in the cover design says technology or science fiction. Maybe the artist could do something more with the man's eyes, or the texture layer that overlays the city and underlays the title?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thumbnail is great, just a creepy pair of eyes and the title. It definitely draws attention.

Two people have now pointed out that the cover is on the dark side, so that's worth looking into. Cvannata, I'll mention the contrast issues and see what he suggests. Thank you for the feedback!

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Chris,
You totally creeped me out.  So the cover works.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts

Looks great both large and small! Although it is a bit hard to tell what the bottom picture is. Depends on if that's important. It draws the eye, so I think it does the job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Chris,

FWIW, I really like the cover and am not bothered by the darkness. I do think, however, the forehead/eyes section at the top could be faded out to make it just a bit more indistinct. That's probably just a nitpick. Outstanding job!

And 70k in 2 weeks? #shakesfistwithenvy  :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with all the others.  It's very eye catching.  Possibly too dark, but nitpicking.

But ......... okay, I just have to be different : )

I read your blurb.  Good blurb.  Makes me want to read the book. 

However, the blurb and the cover don't, in a lot of ways, match (or, I'm missing something).  What "I" (IT Manager) see from the cover, is a book that is probably about a firm (google like?) that has a new process/technology that is removing the world's privacy (thus, the eyes).  And someone, the hero, has discovered this secret and is trying to destroy the almost omnipotent computer AI while being hunted down by assassins paid by .......  well, okay, got off a little there.  Anyway, privacy and runaway AI's are the big deal now for silicon valley thrillers (or, I've gotten behind the times.  Again.).

But then, if I read the blurb, I find that I was mistaken and that there is something about aliens (I think that's what I get from the blurb, sorry if I'm mistaken).  That seems to be a totally different genre than IT privacy thrillers with high tech suspense.  Although the blending of the two should be great, so good job there.

My suggestion would be to keep the same great cover, but add something to it to give the sense of "alien."  Maybe ... make the eyes look more alien?  There was some movie a while back I never saw .... oh yes, ET.  Weren't his eyes alien?  But, could be something besides the eyes.  Just using that as an example.

Anyway, not to make a mountain out of a molehill.  I plan on buying the book : ) 

Thanks,

GeoffW

·
Registered
529 Posts
It looks really good  :D

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I totally love it. Plus, I really like the blurb. If I was going to be totally picky, I'd say yeah, when you go to print with that puppy, it's going to be dark, so at the very least for your print version I'd ask to brighten it up a bit.

Great job, and way to go cranking out 70K words so fast!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts