Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the design I've come up with:

Does the creepy smile and bold color communicate that it's dystopian sci-fi? That it's even satirical and cartoony? Or does it say something else?

I'm not sure if it needs a tagline or not, but here's one that I worked into the design:

The story is about a few contestants on a show called Radical Makeover: Attitude Adjustment. Each receives a "makeover" from the Institute for Neuroscience Advancements and Behavioral Adjustments. (Yeah, still working on my blurb!) Is that the kind of story you would expect to read? Thanks in advance for any feedback!

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'm probably not the best person to comment.  ;D

I immediately thought it was a comedy book, the other thing that stood out to me was that the bottom line with your name above it seems to be at a different angle to the top line. So it looks a bit scruffy. Just my two penneth.

·
Registered
894 Posts
It reads satirical to me, but I don't necessary know if it reads sci-fi, but the cover is striking enough if I was wandering through a list, it'd catch my attention probably enough to read the blurb and then figure out the sci-fi aspect.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
i wonder if the tag line could say something like:

Be happy...
In Joe's world, everybody gets one attitude adjustment...

or

Be happy...
In the future, everybody gets one attitude adjustment...

okay, that's not great, but something along that line.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll change the angle a bit.

Also, I like the "Be happy" tagline ... fits the image so well. Reads like it would make a good blurb, too!

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I don't like the teeth.  They need a dentist. They also don't convey anything dystopian to me.  I'm not trying to be rude, I hope you know that. I almost didn't comment because I hate being negative but I would not consider reading the blurb if I saw this cover.  It looks cheap.

If you are trying to convey a dystopian feel and want to convey someone getting ready to "change" you, perhaps use a pair of eyes staring or something.  I don't know, because I don't know the story.  And I am sorry to be so negative but this is a no-go for me.  :(

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No worries, Caddy. I asked for feedback, so it's my duty to consider all feedback given to me! It might be time for me to look into a cover designer or pre-made covers--I see posts on here sometimes and haven't considered them yet due to money constraints.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This definitely gives more of a comedic vibe than sci-fi. It sort of reminds me of Hitchhiker's Guide sort of style, which I realize is sci-fi, but I still don't get that from this cover. It's not horrible - just might not be right for what you are looking for. Keep at it though  ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts