Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been kicking around the idea of a new cover for Concerto--when I designed the current cover, the book was planned as a standalone. Now that it's the first in a series, I'd like to be able to have the covers styled similarly to reflect this. With the current cover, I could just use pictures of different violins, but I'm worried that might not provide enough difference.

So, after playing around with the idea this afternoon, here are my candidates, what do you think? Concerto is a romantic suspense that revolves around music and musicians, if that helps.

Current Cover:

Prospective New Cover:

Thank You!

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
It's hard to beat that original cover.

Red, of course, is a color which "pops" -- but remember that it will not pop nearly so much in print as it does on screen.

Camille

·
Registered
992 Posts
The first one, for sure. It does look more professional than the current cover too.

On a side note, I just finished Concerto (won it from the librarything giveaway) and love, loved, loved it. It made me want to rethink my whole learning to play the violin obsession. Lol. I'll be spreading reviews around for it shortly  ;D

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much guys!  It's hard for me to think objectively about this one--I fell in love with that first cover the moment I saw it, and I didn't know if maybe that was blinding me.  But it sounds like everybody else thinks it's better too, so I feel better about it!

And Karen, thanks so much for your side note!  It just made my day!  ;D  I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hi Sandra,

First, if I had to choose between option one and option two, I'd go with option one. It's a lovely cover (though I might be tempted to move around the back cover copy a smidge).

However, I don't feel either one does a good job of suggesting the genre of your book, and that could be a big problem. I don't get romance or suspense. Those are both great selling genres. I think you're making a mistake by giving your book what I'd consider a more literary cover, as lovely as it is.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a good point, part of the reason I thought about changing it was that it doesn't really convey what the book is about (except the music part).  But the new cover idea doesn't do that either.  I'm having a hard time conceiving of a cover that doesn't feature a violin and therefore has no particular relation to the genre....

I'll have to think about that some more.

Thanks!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Yes, it is tough with that title. You're really going to have to think about which is heavier in your book--the romance or the suspense--and then find a way to make the music and the genre work together. I could envision a couple on the cover working, if it's a true romance. If it's more suspense, you're going to have to be more creative, maybe take some time to check out other romantic suspense covers on Amazon and see what you can come up with. Most rom suspense covers show either a couple in a clinch or a woman running.

·
Registered
992 Posts
you're welcome!

Tawny has a valid point. I guess I was so blinded by the violins, that it didn't even occur to me. I do think a cover should showcase the music/ violin though, as it's so integral to the novel. Perhaps two hands resting over a violin? A dark image of a woman playing the violin while a half-shadowed man stands behind her?

I don't know if stock images like that exist though. You could always take a page from Victorine's Not What She Seems and do a composite of sorts. I've done something similar with a cover I've been toying with. (see below - sorry for the large size. I'm on my ipad and resizing it far too difficult) You could have one image that screams Romance/ Suspense then the title bar, followed by a violin image, etc. The key is to use colors to tie them together... Hope this helps!

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Here comes Mr. Contradictory, but I much prefer the second one.

Better legibility, and a classy look.

·
Registered
125 Posts
CraigInTwinCities said:
Here comes Mr. Contradictory, but I much prefer the second one.

Better legibility, and a classy look.
I agree mostly for legibility reasons. Is there anyway to combine the two? Like the color scheme and design from the first but the easier to read format of the second?

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
SandraMiller said:
I have one other design--I'm not sure it addresses the issue of conveying genre, but, why not:

Cover 3:

What do you think?
This is pretty good, but needs a couple improvements, I think.

Currently, the "Book One of the Alexis Brooks Series" breaks at an awkward point. I'd break it like this:

Book One of the
Alexis Brooks Series

That would make more visual sense to the reader

Also, that line is in a VERY generic font. Might want to try something sans-serif and bold... nothing too fancy, but... you get the idea.

Also, I'd make Sandra Miller either bigger on the front, or take it out of the scripty font. Of those two options, bigger is probably the better way to go.

Finally, on the spine, the book title should be bigger... it's tiny compared to the author name, so I'd puff it a bit more.

Why is the author name on the spine in an entirely different font that it is on the front cover?

Those are my thoughts...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good points Craig! You have a better eye for this than I do.

I am not sold on that scripty font anyway--I think it suggests a different style of romance. I'm thinking maybe a more casual choice--like this?

No more images! I'm done! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
The new cover did jump out to attract my attention, but as I compared the two covers, I realized the current cover has much more detail. This detail gives it a professional touch.
The new cover made me think romance, not mystery or music.
The subtle contrasts and curves in the current cover suggest a mellow tone, more related to music.
Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Gail!  Those are good points.  I think the current cover really looks good--I don't think somebody seeing it who knew nothing about it would think oh, she must have done that herself :)  I'm just trying to figure out what best conveys the spirit of the book.  Every opinion helps!

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts