Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about done with my second novel and have now realized how many things are wrong with my first. I'm sure you are all gasping in surprise right now, lol. :eek: Knowing that a second novel will bring more attention to my first, I've decided I need to clean things up a bit before I proceed and humiliate myself further. The first book is out with an editor getting fixed and I decided to rework the cover while I was at it.

Is this better then what is in my signature? There are a couple of things that need to get cleaned up, but just wanted overall impression.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I am going to go with the assumption based on what you've said that you honestly want to make this the best you can, so I am going to be honest, and hope that in the process of doing so I don't offend you.

Is it better? Yes.

Would I recommend using it? No.

I've seen that stock photo/model on so many covers, that I would really advise looking for another, or a very creative way to use her. Especially that specific pose. It is just very overused. (And no wonder why, she is incredibly photogenic.)

Also, the lettering is hard to read. And the orange is a very harsh contrast. Essentially, it is easy to tell that this isn't all one image, instead, it is several. The tones on her face and the tones of the fire don't present a unified whole. Think about it, orange flames wouldn't cast a blueish-purple shadow onto her face. It makes it look forced and unnatural.

What about Clarissa's premade cover, listed here: Clarissa001
http://authormarketingclub.com/members/clarissa-pre-made-book-cover-designs/
The very first one, that is the girl with the blue beneath her. Maybe she could customize it into your red and black color scheme?

Full disclosure - I am not in any way affiliated with that designer, though I've heard wonderful things about her. I do however have covers listed on that site.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Is this YA? If so, the new cover is better suited to the genre. Suggestion - fix the exposure on the photograph. It's underexposed. You'll get some noise when you bump it, but you can remove it and smooth her skin back out. The reason I would do that is for more contrast and b/c of the flames. They need to be toned down or the skin tones need to be brought up. They are competing with each other and distract from the title. The flow isn't quite right. It's better, but not there yet. The font for your name is legible, easy to see, great. I'd move it to the top. The title is hard to read. I'd change the font. If this is book 1 in a series, mention it on the cover. Book 1 in the ____ Series. I saw in your description that there is more story coming. Just a suggestion. My Demon Kissed books have a tag line. Anything that makes it easier to figure out series order helps.

Just playing. It's more vibrant with the exposure bumped. You can get rid of the gradient in her skin when you have the full size image. Its a mock up, bou get the idea. Off center, rule of thirds usually helps with flow issues. And there's still a spot for a blurb if you want one.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the feedback!

No, not even slightly offended! It was a fear of mine that she would be on other covers. I'm afraid that everything I like will be overused. I also see what you mean about the coloring not being cohesive. 

Nice job Holly! That looks great! It's in between UF and PNF. Did you do your covers? Stunning.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Kenny, there's no rules that I'm aware of that prevent a poster from linking to the designer/editor/formatter they use, and I for one would also love to know who you use.  Your cover is gorgeous!

To the OP, I agree your cover as is needs a little something more to make it pop, but I would shy away from using that model as well.  That model, and in fact that specific picture, is one of the most oft-used stock photos out there.  I've seen it on half a dozen covers easily, and in fact used it myself before realizing how over-utilized it was and changing it.  Lots of stock photos end up on multiple covers, but some end up on a few too many, and are best stayed away from if at all possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts