Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ignore the circles, it's a sample download.

Which one do you like better? The story is suspenseful and a little eerie. Think Twilight Zone, Hitchcock...

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Barb, I prefer the second one.  (And I didn't know you were an author!)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Daniel Pyle said:
I agree. Although I also like the first image, it looks more literary than Twilight Zone-y.
I think so too. This story started out on one path (when I did the first cover) and then took a turn down a dark alley.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Daniel Pyle said:
I agree. Although I also like the first image, it looks more literary than Twilight Zone-y.
That was my reaction too. I liked the first until I read the comment... second one for sure.

-jb 8)

·
Registered
930 Posts
I like the second one best.  The first one is great, but I think the second gives the vibe that you're looking for and it really is a neat cover.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I'm with everyone else, the second fits the theme better. It be best to look at it in thumbnail form. I have concern about the wording won't be visible and the mirror faces will take on a more inkblot look.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I vote for the second. Really tells me what the book is about, and is eye-catching.

The first is a great-looking cover, too, but it took me a few seconds to figure out what the image was all about.  That is, my eye caught on the top pic, and I wondered why the woman was sprawled on the table, and only then did I take in the cover as whole, and get the doppleganger thing.

·
Registered
296 Posts
What about doing something like this ... since the book is about a "twin".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AngelsAndDemons.jpg

I think that would look very "cool" with the first image done that way ... the title "Doppelganger" would be the ambigram in the middle - with everything else simply mirrored on the other side - your name and the associated text as well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I prefer the title & tagline layout on the first cover. If you kept that same layout (with the tagline above the title) you could increase the size of the faces.

I don't really like the second one, though I agree out of the two it is the best. I would suggest you try maybe two faces pointed inward towards each other as if they're about to fight. This would also have the added advantage of keeping the eye on the cover rather than letting it float off the edge.

Generally, filling the whole top section with face rather than having so much extra empty space would be a much better layout.

IMHO. :)

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
At very first glance, the first took my eye from the top image down to bottom, then back up along the bottom hand to the title. Once I hit the title it all came together and I thought it was petty clever. Positive reaction. However, I'm not sure that same flow would translate to a thumbnail.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I love the colors in the first one, and the way it's balanced.  However, psychologically we always look for faces in things (I'm a graphic designer).  Anything that has a face will usually get your attention first.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Here's a thumbnail with the second. There's lots of tweaking/playing with it I need to do, but I wanted some feedback before I purchased the image. Sometimes you just get sick of shifting through stock images!

Anyway, I think the first picture just has too much going on. I may save it for another project as I already purchased it.

claytondb said:
I love the colors in the first one, and the way it's balanced. However, psychologically we always look for faces in things (I'm a graphic designer). Anything that has a face will usually get your attention first.
Did not know this:)

Raymond Birdsell said:
What about doing something like this ... since the book is about a "twin".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AngelsAndDemons.jpg

I think that would look very "cool" with the first image done that way ... the title "Doppelganger" would be the ambigram in the middle - with everything else simply mirrored on the other side - your name and the associated text as well.
I may try something like this too.

I also have this image I could play with.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I like the second one for your description, but not the swirly bits on it  :-\  I think it would tell the story more than the first but may look better with the faces enlarged..

1 - 20 of 52 Posts