Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See my new post. Added three new versions.

I've got my first big series launching in a few days, and my graphic designer friend has been working with me on the cover. The book is an erotic romance. I'm not going to pretend there's not undertones of Fifty Shades in there, but the focus is on the mystery of the hero's identity, and I think that's unique enough to make it stand out a little.

The cover isn't revolutionary or anything (although my friend did have one pretty out there concept), but I think it's pretty slick. Totally open to criticism though. So if anyone has any thoughts, don't hold back! We can take it.

There are two more in the series, and they've all been crafted to be visually similar, with different stock images from the same series of photos. Don't have proper copies of those covers yet though, as we were just working with low res stock.

Anyway here it is, in full size and thumbnail. Fire away.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We originally had the white bar being just the right length for the title and cutting off about 3/4 of the way across, but the other titles in the series are marginally longer, so for the sake of uniformity, my friend made the bar the full width. We're debating having it match the length for each title properly, thus being slightly different on each book since I think it looks better. It's a fairly minor visual difference, and the style will still clearly be similar between titles, but we were going to wait and see what people said.

And with the font sizes, I'm not really shooting for the series title to be obvious in the thumbnail. From scouring the Amazon charts, few of the best selling series have their series name in big bold letters across the title. It's a reasonably long series title, and putting it in big font would add another chunky element to the aesthetic.

The author name however, we're still dabbling with.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I like it but as others suggested maybe a bigger font for the author name and for the title to fit better inside the white bar.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great. Thanks for the feedback so far. I'll see if I can get her to tweak the author name a little more. And we're going to shrink the white bar a little to match the length of the word I think, then see what that looks like.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I like it. I would make the title larger, as there's too much white space surrounding it. Other than that minor quibble, well done.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Maya Cross said:
The book is an erotic romance. I'm not going to pretend there's not undertones of Fifty Shades in there, but the focus is on the mystery of the hero's identity, and I think that's unique enough to make it stand out a little.
Not that I'm going to bang on about this, but it's everything 50 Shades should have been but failed to be. A nice strong, independent female protagonist, not a blathering mess of a naive girl. ;)

Now on the cover...

Love the stock image. That is one sexy-looking chin (on him!).

Personally, I'd make the title fit the white bar, instead of making the white bar fit the title. Then you can just alter the font size slightly on the other lengthier titles to make them also fit the box?

I would also like to see your name a little larger and bolder.

Maya Cross said:
The book is an erotic romance. I'm not going to pretend there's not undertones of Fifty Shades in there, but the focus is on the mystery of the hero's identity, and I think that's unique enough to make it stand out a little.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Andrea Harding said:
Not that I'm going to bang on about this, but it's everything 50 Shades should have been but failed to be. A nice strong, independent female protagonist, not a blathering mess of a naive girl. ;)

Now on the cover...

Love the stock image. That is one sexy-looking chin (on him!).

Personally, I'd make the title fit the white bar, instead of making the white bar fit the title. Then you can just alter the font size slightly on the other lengthier titles to make them also fit the box?

I would also like to see your name a little larger and bolder.
You are welcome to bang on all you like. In fact, I encourage it =) Thanks!

Okay so my friend has done three new versions. Two are slight tweaks on the sizing of the original and one dispenses with the white bar all together. I'm torn now. I think the white bar is extremely eye catching in the thumbnail view, but the floating text by itself is a bit more normal for this genre. The author name is more visible in the darker one too because the arm is shaded out, but I've already asked her if she could shade the bottom of the other two pictures, to add more contrast, so that's not going to be an issue.

She personally likes the first one the best from a design perspective, since she likes the balance between the font sizes and the little hint at white space, but she's happy with all of them and she's not really viewing it from a 160px thumbnail perspective.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
267 Posts
For what it's worth, the first one has better design going for it. The title doesn't have to stretch all the way across the book on every cover. With the title to the left and the author name to the right, it makes for a more interesting design. And the author name is legible in the thumbnail. It would be interesting to see what it looks like with a little transparency for the white bar.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I like the first of the three. The second is also good.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Maya Cross said:
Okay so my friend has done three new versions. Two are slight tweaks on the sizing of the original and one dispenses with the white bar all together. I'm torn now. I think the white bar is extremely eye catching in the thumbnail view, but the floating text by itself is a bit more normal for this genre. The author name is more visible in the darker one too because the arm is shaded out, but I've already asked her if she could shade the bottom of the other two pictures, to add more contrast, so that's not going to be an issue.

She personally likes the first one the best from a design perspective, since she likes the balance between the font sizes and the little hint at white space, but she's happy with all of them and she's not really viewing it from a 160px thumbnail perspective.

Thoughts?
I like the first one. I like how you can see through the end letters. Your cover is very eye catching and has a lovely sophisticated quality about it. The orange is also appealing. It is my fave colour at the mo :)

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
That's a great photo! Of the three, I like the third one best. But I'd love to see #1 with the bar ending just past the "D" and the white somewhat transparent.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I liked the cover from your first post just fine (that is one SLICK design) but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the third one! It lets me focus on the actual stock photo as opposed to being distracted by the white bar. While I agree the bar is eye-catching, it's also eye-hording.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts