Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than the 30 dollar ones, why is every other Kindle cover $90+ on amazons site?  Some of the prices are rediculous!

·
Registered
736 Posts
I took a shot and purchased the Amazon black leather (hinged) cover and received it with my K2 on 2/25. I've been extremely satisfied with it...I only wish it came in more colors! Have you checked out Oberon covers? http://www.oberdondesign.com

Oberon covers are very popular on this board, along with M-Edge, but at least I find the Oberon covers are worth the price due to the beautiful designs and handiwork involved. Yes, they're pricey, but they are art.

Thanks to some great recommendations here on the Accessories board, I not only bought the Amazon cover, but a quilted/padded zipped cover to fully cover both my K2 (with its cover on) for extra safety while transporting it. You should check out the Accessories board! :)

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
thefuture4 said:
Other than the 30 dollar ones, why is every other Kindle cover $90+ on amazons site? Some of the prices are rediculous!
M-edge is a nice cover for $50 on Amazon. I had the executive red leather and loved it. I chose the Obeorn because of the craftsmanship and beauty. It reminds me of a nicely bound leather book and I find it to be well worth the price. It will last forever and get better with age. All leather ages beautifully whether is be furniture, journals, handbags. The patina is beautiful on aged leather.

You may find one on eBay for less money.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Along with the amazon cover, I also have a grian saddle leather cover from cole haan. Yes its pricey, but its lighter than the amazon cover, its soft, it has high quality leather and it makes me feel like I am reading from a leather bound book. Its a personal choice. I will buy a pricey cover if I like it and think its of high quality. Its leather throughout so it will cost more than a cover that is only leather on the outside. And if you look at cole haan's website the amount of leather you are getting for that price is actually cheaper than what they sell a lot of there small leathergoods for.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol i seem to never put stuff in the correct place :(  Yea, but still Oberon = $75, on top of it's not released yet(K2), and M-Edge is 50ish.  and that Cole Haan one? out of the question that's $99 right?  I was thinking maybe I should just get the small zip up one to tide me over for a while?

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Check out the old accessories threads.  I wish I could be more specific, and maybe if you type in the word Target in the search bar that will narrow it down.  Some women have been finding some very nice items at Target for under 20.00. 
deb

·
Registered
308 Posts
m-edge makes $30 cases as well. The non-leather ones. Perfectly good quality if you don't feel you have to have leather.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Wait......are you trying to say that paying $40 bucks or more on a cover is obscene?? WOW.....................yet I still keep looking at those Oberons LOL

·
Registered
723 Posts
Some folks have bought journal/diaries on the cheap and modified them to work to hole their Kindles.
Very creative and they have something a  bit different.

You don't have to spend much money, but I do HIGHLY recommend a cover of some sort for any K that leaves it's domicile...

EL

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
thefuture4 said:
Other than the 30 dollar ones, why is every other Kindle cover $90+ on amazons site? Some of the prices are rediculous!
The short answer is "because they're Cole Haan". Their shoes are expensive, their handbags are expensive, their Kindle covers are too. But they aren't the only covers out there. I used an M-edge cover for my Kindle for quite awhile & loved it. Finally got myself an Oberon cover and really love it. All leather, handmade, and they run around $85 including shipping. And this one will last as long as my Kindle(s) will fit in it. (As long as Kindles don't get any bigger...I've got the velcro version so I can adapt.) Yes it's expensive, but it's truly gorgeous to look at and to hold.
There are lots of people who are making their own covers with journal covers they buy & adapt (as long as you don't have an issue with velcro, as many people do). Check out the accessories thread for more ideas on sources for covers. As the Kindle becomes more popular, there will be more choices. Honestly if I were getting a K2 & didn't have a cover at all, I'd probably just get the Amazon cover. The only thing it's missing for me is a pocket for notes.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have the Real leather M-Edge Executive cover and it was $44.95.  I really like it.  I think you can get the vinyl version for $30.00.
jp

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
The non leather M-Edge Prodigy is also $30. http://www.amazon.com/M-edge-Prodigy-Jacket-Synthetic-Leather-Smooth/dp/B001S074FK/ref=sr_1_51?ie=UTF8&s=fiona-hardware&qid=1236715759&sr=1-51

We're also in very early days with this model; other manufacturers are certain to bring new covers to market as fast as they can, and prices on some of those may be less.

Any cover will do. For some of us, investing in a cover we love is important because this thing is in our hands for quite some time each day. I wanted to know that it would be protected in something that would last at least as long as the Kindle did. Having something I felt was beautiful adds to the experience of reading on it. But a lot of people will be happy just buying the Amazon cover and not worrying about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts