Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
I'm working on my will to live.
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving back to the Houston area to work. I'm considering getting a high-quality banner printed for the tailgate of my truck, with my author name, book covers, and an Amazon reference.

I know people with business that benefit greatly from this. Could it work for an author?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I don't know.  I had been thinking of getting a big car door magnet to do the same thing.  I guess it wouldn't hurt, right?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
If you do, be sure to add a QR code so that people with the capability can get the info on the spot.  I think it is a unique idea!

·
Registered
I'm working on my will to live.
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a great idea, QR code. Assuming people use those things. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Dan C. Rinnert said:
Check with your motor vehicle insurance agent before doing that.
I don't think my agent would be interested.

Seriously, though, why would it be against one's policy to advertise something like that?

(I like the QR code thing. I use them everywhere I can)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Saul Tanpepper said:
Seriously, though, why would it be against one's policy to advertise something like that?
It may technically in some states change it to a "commercial vehicle" - I believe my state is one that it does, so I'd check too.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I live in Houston, so hello!

It couldn't hurt to advertise on your car, but I suggest against the QR code. I don't want people trying to take a photo while driving.

·
Registered
91 Posts
jasonzc said:
I'm moving back to the Houston area to work. I'm considering getting a high-quality banner printed for the tailgate of my truck, with my author name, book covers, and an Amazon reference.

I know people with business that benefit greatly from this. Could it work for an author?
As a semi-skilled marketer I'd say it is a outstanding idea. Web site url big enough to be read without tailgating though. ;D

·
Registered
91 Posts
@Saul - With the advent of 'no-fault auto insurance' they probably wouldn't care.

Caitie Quinn said:
It may technically in some states change it to a "commercial vehicle" - I believe my state is one that it does, so I'd check too.
Great point CQ. If a author is making a decent return on his product he should form a LLC or Corp. and just move the vehicle into it for tax reasons.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
You can get the car door magnets from Vista Print pretty cheap.  If you want one that is bigger, just design two or three of them to go side by side for your tailgate.

The auto insurance shouldn't be a factor, but it's okay to ask.  An advertisement for your book is no different than any other bumper sticker with a website.  Commercial auto is for transporting goods or services for a fee.  Delivering pizza's or newspapers with your personal car would fall into this so you should have commercial insurance.  Or where the use of said car is by non-owned drivers and employees.  Also it's used to cover real property loss on hauled equipment so if you crash your truck while hauling two riding lawn mowers for your lawn mowing business, the mowers are covered.  In other words it provides wider and higher levels of liability that personal auto policies do not.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Cheyanne said:
I live in Houston, so hello!

It couldn't hurt to advertise on your car, but I suggest against the QR code. I don't want people trying to take a photo while driving.
Ugh! Wasn't even thinking of that aspect. I was thinking of QR while parked for people walking by. The driving aspect could be scary!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just something to think about as far as the car door signs - some people just love to steal them. I know - why would they steal something with your name/books on it - well I had them (not for my books - something else/but personalized) and probably lost half a dozen of them over the course of a year. Hey, if people will steal Tide, they'll steal anything!

Which ever way you go, sounds like a great promotion - good luck :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sounds like an excellent idea. Very creative.

Best-case scenario, you'll draw a lot of attention to yourself and your work and sell some books. And at the very least it will make an awesome blog post one day.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I have had a very bright bumper sticker for over a year that says "Who in the World was Gastien Beauchamp?" and then below it the Gastien facebook fanpage address.  I've had people ask me who he is and ask for my card so they can look up the book. One person even stopped me in the woods to ask because she saw me leave my car so she knew who to look for.  Has it sold any books?  Who knows. It was under $10 so who cares? It creates attention.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
martyinmaui said:
Just something to think about as far as the car door signs - some people just love to steal them.
I was thinking that, too. I suppose you could always toss it in the car when you get out, or if that's too much of a pain, only use it on long drives, and take it off when you get to your destination.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know of an author who found a venture capitalist to back the writing, editing, publishing, and distribution of her book, so...I say go for it and let us know what happens.

The only bad marketing idea is the one you don't try!  Or the one that lands you in jail, but I don't think you have to worry about that here!  ;)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Caddy said:
I have had a very bright bumper sticker for over a year that says "Who in the World was Gastien Beauchamp?" and then below it the Gastien facebook fanpage address. I've had people ask me who he is and ask for my card so they can look up the book. One person even stopped me in the woods to ask because she saw me leave my car so she knew who to look for. Has it sold any books? Who knows. It was under $10 so who cares? It creates attention.
I like that, Caddy!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts