Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed this seems to get results for others.   In December, a reader messaged me through F/B and told me they bought two of my books.  My records through Create Space indicated the sale.  That was the last time my dashboard reflected a sale.  "When an Angel Intervenes" and "After I Pulled The Trigger" were bought together.  Today, my rank for "When An Angel Intervenes" is 1,821,908 in Books.  "After I Pulled The Trigger" 600,000.  I think its reasonable to say, I sold a book.

In September.  A family member messaged me, bought the book, couldn't wait to read it....my Create Space account never indicated the transaction.  I asked for my cousins information which she provided.  Tracking number, proof of purchase number, dates and I think personal account information.  Everything she would use if she had a problem.  I contacted customer support and forwarded the information.  Her last name on the documents matched my name....they said, "Our records don't indicate a sale..."

It happened in August.  Same scenario as explained above.  I noticed a free fall in my rankings to support the assumption, I sold a book...I blew that one off.  But this is the third time that I know of.  I have emailed them this morning.  I am not worried about the 4 bucks or the 12 bucks at this point.  I am concerned that by adding titles over my life time a book there and a book here and if it's happening to me,  I don't know what else to do.  I can't fight city hall.  If they say, "No sale for you..." then, I chalk it up as another ghost sale, I guess

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Have you had other reported sales in between?

Two things: Although CS is POD, Amazon with some frequency prints a few copies of some titles before there's actually, well, demand. So they can sell a title, and you'll see the sales rank move, but the royalties for that copy will have been credited to you weeks or months before.

Secondly, CS doesn't report extended distribution sales in anything like real time, so if someone buys on Amazon from a third-party vendor like The Book Depository, you might not get credit/payment for that sale for several weeks.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
George Berger said:
Have you had other reported sales in between?

Two things: Although CS is POD, Amazon with some frequency prints a few copies of some titles before there's actually, well, demand. So they can sell a title, and you'll see the sales rank move, but the royalties for that copy will have been credited to you weeks or months before.

Secondly, CS doesn't report extended distribution sales in anything like real time, so if someone buys on Amazon from a third-party vendor like The Book Depository, you might not get credit/payment for that sale for several weeks.
Thank you George,
No I haven't reported any transactions under my account since the middle of December. I haven't looked at my paper's rank for fear of getting a nosebleed, for some reason I decided to have a one eye glance at it...and saw the much lower number. But you have restored my hope in the system, it'll work its way through.

G

·
As George noted, Amazon will often stock print copies. Also, if your book is in distribution, Ingrams (which is the de facto distributor of just about EVERY POD SERVICE in the US) will often stock a couple of copies as well. Generally, when I release a new title, I will almost immediately see "orders" from Amazon and the distribution channel. With print, you are paid when the VENDOR buys the copy, not when the customer buys it. So if Barnes and Noble, for example, decides to buy ten copies of your book in December, but it takes them six months to sell them, you get credited for those sales when BN buys the books in December, not six months later when a customer picks up a copy.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Bards and Sages (Julie) said:
As George noted, Amazon will often stock print copies. Also, if your book is in distribution, Ingrams (which is the de facto distributor of just about EVERY POD SERVICE in the US) will often stock a couple of copies as well. Generally, when I release a new title, I will almost immediately see "orders" from Amazon and the distribution channel. With print, you are paid when the VENDOR buys the copy, not when the customer buys it. So if Barnes and Noble, for example, decides to buy ten copies of your book in December, but it takes them six months to sell them, you get credited for those sales when BN buys the books in December, not six months later when a customer picks up a copy.
I had no idea about this! That's interesting, thanks for sharing.

G

·
Dan Harris said:
I had no idea about this! That's interesting, thanks for sharing.
Learned this a long time ago when I was a mod over at the lulu.com forum. About five or six times a week we would get some irate author posting a thread that Lulu was ripping them off because they "know" someone bought the book at "insert-name-of-store-here" and the sale did not show up. We'd have to talk them down and explain how distribution works. :p ;D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts