Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who've used Createspace, what book dimensions (trim) did you choose, and why?

Also, what did you choose to put on the back cover (e.g left it blank, used a product description)? 

As always, thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
I used 5 1/4 x 8.

My back cover has my book description, as well as some cover quotes from authors. My advice is to take a look at the back cover of traditionally published books in your genre and copy that as closely as possible. Do NOT leave it blank.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Jim Franz said:
For those of you who've used Createspace, what book dimensions (trim) did you choose, and why?

Also, what did you choose to put on the back cover (e.g left it blank, used a product description)?

As always, thanks for the insight!
I chose the 5.04x7.81 size because I thought it was a good way to go. When I got my proof copy, my thoughts were confirmed because it's a perfect size. 6x9 was way too big for me, but the dimensions I chose felt good in my hands and looked good too.

As for the back cover, why would you leave it blank? I'm not sure I've ever seen this before. Personally, my cover designer placed a description of the book and my website on the back, then CreateSpace placed the Barcode. If I were you, I'd put either the description or any acclaimed reviews of your book by famous people or magazines. Haha, those are the only two things I've seen on the back before that I can recall.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found around four or five pictures online of complete Createspace covers; 3 had descriptions, 1 had reviews (which I don't have, else I think it'd be a great idea!), and 1 was blank.  Or perhaps I should say it didn't have text.  The color of the front cover wrapped around, so it wasn't just blank white.

None of them had the website listed, and I'm smacking myself for not thinking of that, given how much time I've spent over the past week creating one!  :)

What have other people ultimately decided?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Mark, your cover looks terrific!

I'm publishing mine in 6X9. Sorry, the sample is almost that size . . . I got my proof last week and made the changes needed. I just need to upload the new interior file. Mine has a blurb on the back along with my company logo and the barcode box. I wrote a blog series on what-I-went-through to publish via CS. If anyone is interested, here's the link: http://www.HelenHanson.com/?p=2201 I thought the process was easier than formatting for ePub or Kindle. Take care.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
NRWick said:
I chose the 5.04x7.81 size because I thought it was a good way to go. When I got my proof copy, my thoughts were confirmed because it's a perfect size. 6x9 was way too big for me, but the dimensions I chose felt good in my hands and looked good too.
Same here. It's the smallest size. It's also just odd enough to make it harder to find already existing templates and such. However, I use InDesign, and I just followed the InDesign instructions referenced here. It took a while to figure out what software was best, and to find that doc, but once you've got the first one done, you've got a template which works great.

If you use a different software package, I'm sure there are guides for those as well.

As for the back cover, I just used my blurb.

Camille

·
Registered
641 Posts
daringnovelist said:
BTW, when you are designing your cover, and also headers and footers and front matter (like copyright pages and dedications) it really helps to look through published books in your regular genre.

Camille
Totally! I can't agree with this more. That's why I was confused when the OP mentioned not having anything on the back. All of the books I own have something on the back. I just used the books I owned as a guide for what is traditionally on the back and inside of the book. With some time and research, I found what looked best and most professional.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I can tell you what we did. My wife and our daughter grabbed all the books they liked and we compared sizes. They finally agreed that they liked the 5.5" x 8.5". Her book is 364 pages in size. I then actually printed, and trimmed down about 20 pages of the book on our printer. Put them together just to get a feel for the fonts, the size and how it looked. We tweaked fonts a little to get what we wanted...and then compared to other books she liked once again. Cheri then went to work creating the layout of the cover. She loved it and hated it at the same time. But this is what she ended up with.

If you are designing your cover I may suggest that it's easier to have a solid color that starts on the front and wraps to the back. If you look at this image you'll notice the spine is a different color. It was very difficult to get that to line up properly but finally we got it right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts