Kindle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started to look at CreateSpace and looking at the options for creating a cover using the existing cover art for my ebook.

What sizes are people using for books?  I'm not as familiar with USA paperback sizes and having tried the smallest, most popular size couldn't see how to get the cover art to fit.

thanks

Mike

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
mikelewis said:
I have started to look at CreateSpace and looking at the options for creating a cover using the existing cover art for my ebook.

What sizes are people using for books? I'm not as familiar with USA paperback sizes and having tried the smallest, most popular size couldn't see how to get the cover art to fit.

thanks

Mike
Ridan allows the authors to choose the size they want. Most choose 6 x 9. Michael happens to be rather fond of 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 which also produces a good size. I suggest either of those.

A few other things I want to bring up...From a setup fee perspective Create Space is much better than Lightning Source ($39 verses $115) and for any books you buy for yourself you should also be using CreateSpace because the price is a bit lower. But...for books that people buy through a distribution channel, you might want to consider Lightning Source. Here's why.

You can put Lightning Soure titles for sale for a 20% discount, but CreateSpace will take 40%. This means that you'll make more money for each book sold at Amazon that uses Lightning Source. That being said...most bookstores want a much higher discount (50 - 55%) and my experience is placing that big discount on the books really did nothing to move product. When I changed my discount back down to 20% I still sold the same number but had more money in my pocket. So you might want to consider doing both (Use Create Space for books you buy youself and LSI for books sold through distributors. They both take the exact same interior file and the cover needs to be adjust just slightly because they use slightly different paper which makes CreateSpace books just a tad bit thicker. My most recently released title, Full Share - I put each proof side by side and except for a little difference in thickness they were essentially identical in quality.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks that is really helpful.

I did look at Lightning Space years ago when publishing a set of Wargaming Rules (didn't use them at the time as they didn't do colour).

I will have another look.

One more question - I notice that some cover options are "spineless" - does this mean the book has a spine but you don't get lettering on it?

thanks

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts