Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was surprised to discover that one of my books is being sold on Walmart.com. As far as I can tell, it's only one of my books and there's no sign that Walmart is physically stocking it in their stores. It's also "Out of Stock," so it appears to be a POD offering.

Not sure how long it's been selling there, but I perform regular Google searches to keep taps on where my books pop up. It has to be within the past few weeks, and could explain some "expanded distribution" activity on Createspace. I'm just shocked that Walmart.com is a channel that they distribute to.

Has anyone else noticed their book(s) popping up on Walmart.com? 

G

·
Pretty much ANY online retailer can sell Createspace books. Expanded distro is handled through Ingram and Baker & Taylor (I believe B&T handles the library distro options but it has been a while since I looked), so your books are shown as available when retailers who use those companies place orders. Most online retailers just data-dump all new releases to their "inventory" since POD can be printed on order. No different than our books appearing on BN.com but not being stocked in physical stores.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Two of my own are also now on Walmart.com....sigh....I note that both are "under" the CreateSpace pricing by about 15% too...

Cool! Least I think it is--and now I wonder how I can get some sales stats from Walmart on same....

If I get "thru" to the Books dept and get an answer, I'll update this thread...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' said:
Not mine. Apparently, no prawns allowed.
I'm a prawn, and my books are there. Oh wait, my newest book (out less than a month) isn't available yet.

What I found shocking was that one of my print books was available for sale on eBay, and that 3 people had bookmarked the page, and two copies had already sold! :eek: I guess this vendor sells to people in countries where Createspace doesn't ship (like my book isn't available in Australia, for example). My book sells okay, but not that okay (I wouldn't think) that two people would have already found the eBay page and bought a book... go figure.

·
Registered
305 Posts
HOLY COW! (Sorry this is slightly hijacky!) I found another one of my books for sale on eBay, from an Australian vendor. It's a $9 book selling for approx. $17 USD, three people have already bought the book and there are 9 people "watching" the eBay page?

Por que? WHY?  :eek: I mean, it's a nice book and all, but not that good.... why? So weird. I'm not complaining, but how odd.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The only pen name of mine with paperbacks at Wal-Mart are my gay shifter romance name, and because the covers are one guy and not full of keywords, and they've somehow truncated the book description by cutting it off in the middle of the second sentence, anybody looking at it would have no idea it's a gay romance (or any kind of romance at all, in some cases).

Kind of mitigates the thrill. Also, it's unlikely anybody's going to browse their way to it.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found some information about this posted in the Createspace Community board:

"Walmart allows third party sellers to list on their site."

This explains why some titles appear, but not all. Also (sigh), Walmart isn't directly behind this. We're not that special, after all. ;)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Thanks for the tip.  I just looked mine up on their site and the whole series is there.  I wonder if this is how they find good performers to carry in their physical stores.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.