Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The file for my book has been approved. Is it okay to proof the download, or is it necessary to order a print copy to review. Createspace says,  "The interior contains layers that have been flattened during our processing. This may affect the appearance of any transparencies or overlays in your printed book. We recommend you review a physical proof of your book to ensure you are satisfied with the final printing."

Am I correct in thinking there are no transparencies or overlays in my book, since it is just text?

Thanks!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think it means you didn't quite format your pdf right. Just order a proof. If it looks fine to you, okay it.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Order a paper proof!!!  Ahhhhhhhh!!!  Please!!!!!

Learn from my mistake.

I did my books with Createspace and most of them were fine.  But one came out with all kinds of weird characters in it that were NOT present in the PDF downloaded proof.  If I hadn't ordered the proof, who knows how many bum copies would have gone out before a customer complained and alerted me and them to the problem.

NEVER EVER trust the PDF download proof.  Get a print copy.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I usually get that message about flattening. Not sure what it means. The physical proof I get looks fine, so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

That said, I strongly recommend ordering the physical proof to make sure everything went through correctly. It's also an opportunity for one last proofread. The different format--bound book vs. computer screen/printouts--can help you catch the last few typos.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, everyone!  :)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Ben Mathew said:
I usually get that message about flattening. Not sure what it means. ...
I usually see this when exporting a multi-layer image, especially if there are layers set with various transparency levels to .jpg.
CS conversion must also transform any images to .jpg as part of the PDF process so it throws that note.
For the OP: I'd review the PDF to make sure that looks OK before ordering the paper copy (involving shipping time and expense).

·
Registered
12,230 Posts
Print. I often wind up going through several proofs before I'm happy with the final look. Then again, I'm obsessive and it drives me crazy if any little detail is off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts