Kindle Forum banner

201 - 220 of 402 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I can confirm KDP won't ship author copies to an Australian address, either via amazon.com or any of their other sites. (Tested spanish and french stores too.)

This is a major issue for me, and I've just fired off an email to KDP support for all the good that will do. I'm not interested in reformatting 20 covers and listing them with another printer who does work with aussies. I already went through LSI for years and I don't have the time or the patience.

Amazon need to get their finger out on this one. I stuck with CS because they would ship to Aus, and I was happy to stay there until they resolved the problem. Now we're being forced across, it's become much more important.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Kindly note, all the titles irrespective of their status will be moved to KDP. However, the status of the retired titles will show as "Unpublished" on your KDP account. Meaning, they won't be available for purchase on Amazon.
According to CS support, they are moving everything over, regardless of status.

I also keep getting error messages saying that the ISBN in the manuscript doesn't match the one issued for the book, despite it being correct in the book preview. It's taken me over two full days to get two paperbacks live.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
KelliWolfe said:
According to CS support, they are moving everything over, regardless of status.

I also keep getting error messages saying that the ISBN in the manuscript doesn't match the one issued for the book, despite it being correct in the book preview. It's taken me over two full days to get two paperbacks live.
I had a battle with a KDP 'manual reviewer' over something similar. I kept resubmitting exactly the same files and they kept rejecting them, until they went on a break or something and Larry Laidback passed it through the system.

I did this for two of them, but for one they wouldn't budge so I had to add a subtitle to the cover. Then I ended up redoing all the text on twelve covers and the result is much better, so I'm not complaining (too much.)

·
Registered
11,676 Posts
Simon Haynes said:
I can confirm KDP won't ship author copies to an Australian address, either via amazon.com or any of their other sites. (Tested spanish and french stores too.)
That's a bummer. I wonder if it also applies to South Africa.

·
Registered
11,676 Posts
Acheknia said:
I don't think so, I seem to remember Australia having new taxes, which ended Amazon shipping to there.

I could be wrong, I have a gnat-sized memory & usually remember the gist of something rather than full facts lol
At one time Amazon stopped shipping to SA because of all the theft :( . Sometimes my CS books never arrived and CS couriered replacements. Then the original parcel would arrive about a month later ::). I wonder if Amazon would be as obliging.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Lorna_Reid said:
This is very frustrating, as I use my CS account as an umbrella for print books spread over three pen names. I don't want them all to migrate to the same Amazon KDP account, however, as I had hoped to put my three fiction books under my name, but my puzzle and colouring books under my pen names on their respective accounts. Now that the button to individually migrate books has gone, I'm going to have little choice but to mass migrate and keep them all under that umbrealla, by the looks of it. Urgh.

I agree with the posters who have suggested Amazon could have either wholesale copied the CS backend or just rebranded CS, rather than this hoo-hah.
As NJ says, you're not supposed to have multiple KDP accounts, but one account can be used for multiple pen names. I have no idea what will happen in this kind of situation, but at the worst, you could change the names on the ones you want under separate pen names when they migrate.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Simon Haynes said:
On a related matter, the 'expanded distribution' now claims it serves libraries, whereas on Createspace you had to use their free ISBN to achieve that. (I use my own, so I was always locked out.)
Very interesting indeed. I also use my own ISBN's and partially why I expanded into Ingram Spark since they had more distribution channels. I also do not like having "all my eggs in one basket" as the saying goes.

I do suspect though if you use a ISBN for the first time at KDP print and then try to use that same ISBN at Ingram Spark, there will be a problem. At least there always was with CreateSpace. In that situation you had to get CreateSpace to call Ingram Spark to resolve it. Otherwise you couldn't use that ISBN at Ingram Spark. But perhaps KDP Print has fixed that (but I kind of doubt it).

·
Registered
11,676 Posts
It looks like Amazon will be paying after 60 days while CS paid after 30 days. I know it's in line with their usual payments, but that's a lot of interest for Amazon to be sitting on.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Don DeBon said:
I do suspect though if you use a ISBN for the first time at KDP print and then try to use that same ISBN at Ingram Spark, there will be a problem. At least there always was with CreateSpace. In that situation you had to get CreateSpace to call Ingram Spark to resolve it. Otherwise you couldn't use that ISBN at Ingram Spark. But perhaps KDP Print has fixed that (but I kind of doubt it).
Don, that's only if you had the books entered into Expanded Distribution via CreateSpace. IngramSpark won't list the same ISBN twice in the catalog, and if you've enrolled it in Expanded Distribution, it's already in the Ingram catalog.

If the book is only available through CreateSpace but not through Expanded Distribution, there isn't a problem. I usually upload first to C/S so I can order a proof copy (which you can't do through I/S). Once I'm sure everything looks good, I then upload to I/S. Never had a problem doing it that way.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
MClayton said:
Don, that's only if you had the books entered into Expanded Distribution via CreateSpace. IngramSpark won't list the same ISBN twice in the catalog, and if you've enrolled it in Expanded Distribution, it's already in the Ingram catalog.

If the book is only available through CreateSpace but not through Expanded Distribution, there isn't a problem. I usually upload first to C/S so I can order a proof copy (which you can't do through I/S). Once I'm sure everything looks good, I then upload to I/S. Never had a problem doing it that way.
I own my ISBNs, which I purchased from Bowker. I removed Expanded Distribution from my Create Space books when I published them on Ingram to end the problem. I did this several years ago. As I recall, I spoke to someone in Create Space who helped me remove Amazon's Expanded Distribution.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Marian said:
I own my ISBNs, which I purchased from Bowker. I removed Expanded Distribution from my Create Space books when I published them on Ingram to end the problem. I did this several years ago. As I recall, I spoke to someone in Create Space who helped me remove Amazon's Expanded Distribution.
I did that, too, with my first three books. I unchecked Expanded Distribution, filled out a Title Transfer Request for I/S, and then asked C/S to let I/S know to remove them from the C/S catalog. But if it's never been enrolled in Expanded Distribution there's no conflict to worry about.

For anyone curious, here's the link that explains what to do if you've had books in Expanded Distribution but now want to go with IngramSpark: https://help.ingramspark.com/hc/en-us/articles/211155403-Title-Transfers

·
Registered
215 Posts
MClayton said:

Well, I was responding to expanded distribution/libraries (and possibly KDP print distributing books into libraries with your own ISBN number), but I admit I should have mentioned it again for clarification. Yes if you don't enable expanded distribution there is never a problem.

And yes I do the same thing with regard to Ingram Spark. They only allow a proof after you have approved the files, and if you need to make changes you need to pay for those changes. The final product has always been extremely close between the two companies. Not sure how things will be with KDP Print, I guess we will see "how things shake out" as has been repeated in this thread many times.

·
Registered
11,676 Posts
Acheknia said:
Customs, I'm guessing. I know somebody that sent a big box of presents to her daughter & grandchildren (from UK to SA), she paid the postage (courier) cost here, then paid extra to post from customs in SA) to her daughter, the box sat in customs for 7 months, with calls, emails, letters etc between her & customs, her daughter & customs & also with the original courier company, finally the box was delivered but it cost another 60 pounds (sterling). Total nightmare, very costly & very stressful.
What a dreadful story. :eek: I found that if I order more than two books then I have to pay customs duty on the parcel. Don't think it was customs holding up my parcels as I didn't have to pay on the last ones. It can sometimes take weeks for post to arrive within SA, but I have to give credit where it is due as I received a parcel that was supposed to have been delivered through the internal mail of the retirement village but was inadvertently put in the post and only had my name and the name of the retirement village and yet a card arrived saying there was a parcel that postage was due on and I went to the PO and picked it up. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wrote customer support on the matter. I felt that just waiting and letting them handle the migration was the best bet. This was the reply (probably mostly a form letter).

I understand that you want to know whether waiting for automatic migration is a better option.

However, in a few weeks, we'll start automatically moving your CreateSpace books to Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP). If you have a release planned soon or you would like to start the move yourself, we encourage you to move your existing CreateSpace catalog to KDP and publish your new book from there. Sign in to your CreateSpace Member Dashboard and follow the instructions to begin

Also, If you move now, you'll control when your books move to KDP. In a few weeks, we'll automatically move your books for you and you'll need to sign in to CreateSpace to start the process of claiming them on KDP. Your books will remain available for sale throughout the move and you'll continue to earn royalties.

Therefore it is up to you, if you want to move them right away or wait for the automatic migration.

Hope this resolves your query.

Thank you for using Amazon KDP.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
ParkerAvrile said:
Also sometimes the manuscript didn't come through either. So... then I decided while I was running down the old manuscript I might as well update the front/back matter. It turned into a 3 day job prettying up all these books.
Same! And while I was updating the 20 paperbacks I thought hey, I might as well update the ebook backmatter as well.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I haven't gotten "the email" yet and don't have the option to migrate yet either, but this seems like a royal mess.

I'm wondering, though, will things get sticky for me because I have my KDP account under one email address and then my Createspace account under a different email address? Or do we plug in the KDP account details (email address and password) when we click that migrate button (once it appears for me...).

I only have 2 titles to move, but I hate change.  :-\

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I know the last line is soft soap, but maybe when enough aussies complain the message will get through.

Please be aware, to remain compliant with changes to the GST law in Australia, from July 1, 2018, we've changed the way KDP authors in Australia access their books on Amazon. Authors can purchase retail copies of their paperbacks through a Global Store option on Amazon.com.au. However, proof and author copies will no longer be able to be shipped to Australian addresses. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please note that these changes do not affect the ability to continue to list your books on our international sites or have them shipped to eligible non-Australian addresses.

However, I will take this as a feedback and pass on this information to our business team for our future improvements.

Buy through a global store option at full price? Heh.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Simon Haynes said:
I know the last line is soft soap, but maybe when enough aussies complain the message will get through.

Please be aware, to remain compliant with changes to the GST law in Australia, from July 1, 2018, we've changed the way KDP authors in Australia access their books on Amazon. Authors can purchase retail copies of their paperbacks through a Global Store option on Amazon.com.au. However, proof and author copies will no longer be able to be shipped to Australian addresses. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please note that these changes do not affect the ability to continue to list your books on our international sites or have them shipped to eligible non-Australian addresses.

However, I will take this as a feedback and pass on this information to our business team for our future improvements.

Buy through a global store option at full price? Heh.
Yeah, that's a crock. Maybe we will have to set our RRP really low, buy a copy, then set it higher again LOL.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Yep
ParkerAvrile said:
Oh yah. Me too. It's endless!!!!
I just got a delivery of 3 copies of each of the books in my new series. Bittersweet - they look stunning, and they're promised to a local bookstore, but they're also the last I'm going to receive until Amazon changes their policy. If the bookstore sells them, that's it.

201 - 220 of 402 Posts