Kindle Forum banner

221 - 240 of 402 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts

Subject: How do I order Author copies?

I've now moved from Createspace to KDP.

On your site it says "Australian users can place orders from Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk"

When I try to order copies, it says you can't ship to Australia and I should order from amazon.com.au

Can you tell me how to do this? I've been ordering from Createspace for years, and this is a real issue for me.

Cheers
Simon

Hello Simon,

I am sorry for the inconvenience you experienced.

Please be aware, to remain compliant with changes to the GST law in Australia, from July 1, 2018, we've changed the way KDP authors in Australia access their books on Amazon. Authors can purchase retail copies of their paperbacks through a Global Store option on Amazon.com.au. However, proof and author copies will no longer be able to be shipped to Australian addresses. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please note that these changes do not affect the ability to continue to list your books on our international sites or have them shipped to eligible non-Australian addresses.

However, I will take this as a feedback and pass on this information to our business team for our future improvements.

Thanks for using Amazon KDP.

I supply a local bookstore with copies of my novels. Somehow, buying copies at full price from the UK, then selling them at 40% off the cover price, doesn't seem to make sound business sense.

I'm going to have to look at Ingram, because this change makes it impossible for me. I'm really happy with the quality of the books you print, and the service, and I'm very disappointed I can't order them any more.

I've started to let people know, because this is going to make it hard for my fans to get signed copies.

Regards
Simon

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
So, it's all trying to sort out. When I go into my KDP account, it can't put up my books. It can put up the reports, but when I try to see my book shelf, it's giving a 404 error. Can't see the ebooks even now.

So, I'm guessing it's not up and running yet. Probably going to take several more days. Probably won't be ready during Labor Day weekend. But hey, at least I wasn't planning a book launch or anything. Oh wait, I was.

Also a good thing I got my preorder file already up for my book launching soon. I can't even get into my ebooks now.

So, back to be patient with Amazon again.

Going back to work on some more writing.

Good news: THREE DAY WEEKEND!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Simon Haynes said:

Subject: How do I order Author copies?

I've now moved from Createspace to KDP.

On your site it says "Australian users can place orders from Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk"

When I try to order copies, it says you can't ship to Australia and I should order from amazon.com.au

Can you tell me how to do this? I've been ordering from Createspace for years, and this is a real issue for me.

Cheers
Simon

Hello Simon,

I am sorry for the inconvenience you experienced.

Please be aware, to remain compliant with changes to the GST law in Australia, from July 1, 2018, we've changed the way KDP authors in Australia access their books on Amazon. Authors can purchase retail copies of their paperbacks through a Global Store option on Amazon.com.au. However, proof and author copies will no longer be able to be shipped to Australian addresses. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please note that these changes do not affect the ability to continue to list your books on our international sites or have them shipped to eligible non-Australian addresses.

However, I will take this as a feedback and pass on this information to our business team for our future improvements.

Thanks for using Amazon KDP.

I supply a local bookstore with copies of my novels. Somehow, buying copies at full price from the UK, then selling them at 40% off the cover price, doesn't seem to make sound business sense.

I'm going to have to look at Ingram, because this change makes it impossible for me. I'm really happy with the quality of the books you print, and the service, and I'm very disappointed I can't order them any more.

I've started to let people know, because this is going to make it hard for my fans to get signed copies.

Regards
Simon
surely they realise Aussies are going to abandon them with no chance of forgiveness in droves?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I still haven't moved. Additionally, just so you know, KDP's Expanded distribution is not like CreateSpace's. Your books will not be in bookdepository for example, which is a great seller of books outside of amazon's universe despite being owned by them, due to their free-shipping politic which greatly benefits non-EU & non-US countries.

IS, here we go...

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
Nobody222 said:
I still haven't moved. Additionally, just so you know, KDP's Expanded distribution is not like CreateSpace's. Your books will not be in bookdepository for example, which is a great seller of books outside of amazon's universe despite being owned by them, due to their free-shipping politic which greatly benefits non-EU & non-US countries.
Where did you get this information? Others have declared that indeed the books go to the Ingram catalog and will be available, though perhaps not for six-eight weeks.

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
Actually, I no longer have that option. (Nor can I pull a book over from the KDP platform, as I did earlier.) I gathered that if you don't Migrate when you first see the offer, it goes away, at least for a time.

I don't mind.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
new thread again merged into this main thread on the issue -- sorry for any confusion.

·
Registered
136 Posts
notjohn said:
Where did you get this information? Others have declared that indeed the books go to the Ingram catalog and will be available, though perhaps not for six-eight weeks.
Amazon told me so. But I am suspicious that, as usual, they are misunderstanding the issue. "We don't offer expanded distribution to book depository. We offer them our e.d. partners only and is up to any retailer to put your book up for sale or not."

Has your KDP Print book appeared on book depository or b&n yet?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
julidrevezzo said:
They're not. The Sizes may be the same, but a quick check of the margin settings from the Createspace templates to the kdp print templates shows two different sets of margin settings. That's part of why I'm antsy about this "automatic" process. I just know I'm going to have to reset those margins on every single book when this is all over.
The safe text area on the KDP books definitely looks smaller to me. They're also a lot stricter on having any subtitles from the metadata present on the covers, and I've had several rejected because the text extended out of the safe zone.

Basically, I've adjusted all my covers. I do my own with indesign, but it would be a real pain for someone who paid a designer and had to pay again to get them altered.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Simon Haynes said:
... I supply a local bookstore with copies of my novels. Somehow, buying copies at full price from the UK, then selling them at 40% off the cover price, doesn't seem to make sound business sense.

But you'll need to discount them with Ingram, too, no?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Harald said:
But you'll need to discount them with Ingram, too, no?
Yes but Amazon are suggesting I buy my paperbacks for $25.95 Australian each, which is full retail, then pay to get them over here, and then I'm supposed to sell them to bookstores for $12 a copy.

Right now I can get Createspace copies here for approx $8 each. It still leaves a small margin when they're stocked at my local.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Nobody222 said:
Additionally, just so you know, KDP's Expanded distribution is not like CreateSpace's. Your books will not be in bookdepository for example, which is a great seller of books outside of amazon's universe despite being owned by them, due to their free-shipping politic which greatly benefits non-EU & non-US countries.
My books published through KDP showed up on Book Depository within a week of publishing.

I still haven't moved my old books from Createspace. Does anyone know if I'll have to redo all my covers that were done with Createspace's old template (before 2016)?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
julidrevezzo said:
Has everyone gotten the emails about the migration? I have not, yet, and I wonder when to expect it. Due to the margin differences (see my last comment) I'm antsy about this process. I tried to manually move them over, just now, and while, weeks ago, I had the "is this published with Createspace" button, it's gone now, and trying to start afresh from the KDP paperback option, the system won't accept my manually pasting in my CS ISBNs. So, my question becomes, do you have to sign in periodically to see if you've received the invite, or will you definitely get an email telling you the ability to move your paperbacks is available?
I thought I would try one this morning but the CS button didn't show. I can't see creating the whole thing over again so I stopped the process. Maybe they are removing all the easy buttons so we get discouraged and won't clog up the system too much.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Simon Haynes said:
Yes but Amazon are suggesting I buy my paperbacks for $25.95 Australian each, which is full retail, then pay to get them over here, and then I'm supposed to sell them to bookstores for $12 a copy.
I see your problem.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
julidrevezzo said:
Has everyone gotten the emails about the migration? I have not, yet, and I wonder when to expect it. Due to the margin differences (see my last comment) I'm antsy about this process. I tried to manually move them over, just now, and while, weeks ago, I had the "is this published with Createspace" button, it's gone now, and trying to start afresh from the KDP paperback option, the system won't accept my manually pasting in my CS ISBNs. So, my question becomes, do you have to sign in periodically to see if you've received the invite, or will you definitely get an email telling you the ability to move your paperbacks is available?
I don't have it on my dashboard, nor do I have an email. So, yes. I've been signing in and checking. Will I ever get an email? This is 'zon. Who knows. ::)

I'm planning to wait a bit, but still. I'd like to know I have the ability to do what I want when I want to do it.

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
Nobody222 said:
Amazon told me so. But I am suspicious that, as usual, they are misunderstanding the issue. "We don't offer expanded distribution to book depository. We offer them our e.d. partners only and is up to any retailer to put your book up for sale or not."

Has your KDP Print book appeared on book depository or b&n yet?
No. But then it hasn't been six weeks, let alone eight....

Well, the book is there, but Temporarily Unavailable (B&N) or Out of Stock (Book Depository). Similarly on Amazon IN, CN, AU, it's offered by the parasite third-party vendors at high prices.

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
katherinef said:
My books published through KDP showed up on Book Depository within a week of publishing.
Brilliant! Thanks.

I'm guessing that was a built-from-scratch KDP Print title, and not brought over from CS?

katherinef said:
I still haven't moved my old books from Createspace. Does anyone know if I'll have to redo all my covers that were done with Createspace's old template (before 2016)?
The book I brought over had a cover using the CS cover wizard, but it was the one whereby I uploaded the full front cover as a jpg, then built the back cover and spine online. So I am optimistic that the cover problem is surmountable.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
notjohn said:
Brilliant! Thanks.

I'm guessing that was a built-from-scratch KDP Print title, and not brought over from CS?
Yeah, new books that were never on CS or anywhere else.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I haven't yet, which is fine. I only have 2 books to migrate but they were enough of a headache to set up as it is. I did one other book's cover using KDP print--it worked all right, but it was merely a simple novella, whereas my books with Createspace have internal illustrations and required a lot of tinkering.

When my rights revert back on my other published books, I may look at moving them to Ingram. I'm skeptical of how Amazon is going to run their POD service.

221 - 240 of 402 Posts