Kindle Forum banner

121 - 140 of 402 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Acheknia said:
This is from the email...
Paperback printing costs are higher on KDP than CreateSpace for Black & White titles under 110 pages printed in the EU, Black & White titles under 100 pages printed in the UK, and color titles under 30 pages printed in both the EU and UK. Based on this change, you may want to update the list prices of your books.
I'm sure my email didn't specify... but lol... except for the picture book - my shortest is 120 pages.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I just received verification from CS that if you have titles you do not want automatically migrated that retiring the book is not sufficient. It has to be deleted from your member dashboard. That applies both to the current migration and the automated one that will occur in a few weeks.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Acheknia said:
Oh bugger!

Another problem, all 15 of mine were with cover creator, I always used the template that allowed just the front to be added. :(

Does anyone know if KDP have a similar template that I can just add the front & then complete the steps to create the back & spine?

I thought I'd sorted the problems by removing Createspace Direct & upping prices on shorter books, this extra teething problem is more than one too many :(
I thought cover creator files were migrating with the books? There was a note to get them right in cover creator if you needed to do anything - before they were moved.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Cecelia said:
I thought cover creator files were migrating with the books? There was a note to get them right in cover creator if you needed to do anything - before they were moved.
I had all of my covers custom done for Createspace. When I'm able to get into the print books, things are locked. I can't get any links to do anything, and my covers keep disappearing. I had 6 when they first migrated with one missing. Then it was 2 missing and 5 were there. Now 5 covers are missing and only two covers are there. It's like the system can't handle what is going on. And I'm not surprised. We know what happened with Prime Day in July. Took several hours for things to right itself.

Either my covers will come back by tomorrow, or I'm going to have to go talk to my cover designers about redoing the covers for KDP Print.

THIS. REALLY. SUCKS>

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
dgcasey said:
They have both options.
My Dog's Servant said:
They have a preview that you have to approve somehow before you can get a physical proof.
Thanks. One less thing to worry about.

Now I have to worry about my covers. Most were done using CS's templates. I was going to wait and let Amazon move them over automatically, but now I think I'd better do it myself. There will be, I'm sure, things that need fixing.

745 Posts
KelliWolfe said:
I just received verification from CS that if you have titles you do not want automatically migrated that retiring the book is not sufficient. It has to be deleted from your member dashboard. That applies both to the current migration and the automated one that will occur in a few weeks.
How do you actually do that? Delete a book from your dashboard, I mean? I have one I wanted to do that with ages ago and couldn't figure out how, so I just unchecked all the distribution options from memory. I would definitely prefer it didn't transfer across since I have a new version of that book now.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Acheknia said:
That's what I thought but apparently the CS cover creator is not compatible with the KDP one, (the post I quoted) meaning there's no way to correct it before they move.
It would move as a PDF cover surely?

But with the whole system in flux, I would think this was the worst time to be trying to do anything.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' said:
Thanks. One less thing to worry about.

Now I have to worry about my covers. Most were done using CS's templates. I was going to wait and let Amazon move them over automatically, but now I think I'd better do it myself. There will be, I'm sure, things that need fixing.
Mine were created in Indesign and I'm having to redo/tweak them all anyway. I think the guidelines on the KDP preview window are less forgiving than the old CreateSpace ones, or maybe that's what all those 'We had to adjust your cover size' messages I used to get on CS were going on about ... they were never specific.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Susanne. said:
Same here. When I log into the dashboard everything looks normal and there is even an 'add book' part as before. I have no email from createspace about the closure.
Me as well- I submitted my cover two days ago, got approval, then changed the interior and (after making no changes to the cover) they said I had to fix the cover and resubmit. A tiny part of the title is almost to the edge of the free zone. I resubmitted AGAIN and am waiting for approval to order the proof. I might just do the whole process over with KDP at this point, since I still don't see the migration buttons on CS. I did get the announcement e-mail as well as the expanded distribution info e-mail though, I'm just putting off learning a new platform since I'm under the wire with my new release.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Simon Haynes said:
Mine were created in Indesign and I'm having to redo/tweak them all anyway. I think the guidelines on the KDP preview window are less forgiving than the old CreateSpace ones, or maybe that's what all those 'We had to adjust your cover size' messages I used to get on CS were going on about ... they were never specific.
I never got that message. Mine were always about the resolution but I learned to fix that problem.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Marti talbott said:
I got an action required too:

Hello,

We are contacting you because you have books currently enrolled in CreateSpace Direct and we will not offer this distribution channel on KDP. To maintain uninterrupted enrollment in Expanded Distribution and keep your books available for online retailers and bookstores to purchase in a few weeks (when the move from CreateSpace to KDP begins), you will need to select another channel. --- If you do not take action before the move begins, your CreateSpace books enrolled in CreateSpace Direct will move to KDP in a 'draft' status and will no longer be enrolled in Expanded Distribution.
---
I thought Createspace Direct was defunct, so I didn't bother to turn it off. Today, I went in and changed them all...all 89 titles. We're moving to another state and will be without internet, so I send my best wishes, wait for all of you to work out the kinks, and move mine over in a week or so, if Amazon doesn't do it for me.

It's always something, isn't it. Fix this, change that. It's a wonder we have time to write more books.
So if I got this message, all I have to do is go into each title and unselect CreateSpace Direct, then click Save and Continue?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I see a lot of talk about jumping ship to Ingram, but none about jumping to Lulu. Is there something I am missing? For Australians, Lulu seems a good choice since they print in Melbourne and don't have the setup costs or the stupid IS requirement to get an ABN.

I was already considering them because of the whole GST debacle with Amazon refusing to sell physical items to us from outside the .au store. Since the letter somebody posted here mentioned the au store as a sales channel from KDP print, has anybody had their KDP books show up there other than at a stupidly inflated price from Book Depository?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
The covers on the books I migrated over at the weekend were all done in Create Space cover creator and they seem fine in KDP, although I want to change them at some later date to be the same as the ebook versions.
I used KDP cover creator for something just over a week ago and I did find a way of using the file for the ebook cover as the front cover in a KDP template, with the only problem being that it was a slightly different size and I had to shrink it a little, also KDP complained about the resolution, which it almost always does, but I managed to continue despite that.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
KelliWolfe said:
I've never figures out how to delete a title. I can in KDP, but can't figure out how in CS.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Kay Camden said:
So if I got this message, all I have to do is go into each title and unselect CreateSpace Direct, then click Save and Continue?
That's what I did. Hope I'm right.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Marti talbott said:
I've never figures out how to delete a title. I can in KDP, but can't figure out how in CS.
I tried to once. Couldn't do it. So I contacted them. They said you can't do it, and it was not going to be made an option, please just set to unpublished. Since the official line was it can't be done, I have remained of the belief that it was not possible.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
So, my print books did not align with my ebooks on KDP. I have to log on with my Createspace password to get to my print books on KDP. It is very weird. It's like it created a whole separate account. So, because I'm not stupid to have the same password for both Createspace and KDP, somehow this flub has happened. Or is it supposed to be like that.

My print books are frozen now. Can't do anything to them. Books have disappeared off of Createspace account. I have sent several messages to customer support about it. Heard nothing. I know they are swamped, but I'm just frustrated. Nothing went right, and I can't undo it. Total nightmare.

Did anyone else have this much of a weird thing happen? I was hoping that this would all be smooth, but it hasn't been at all. I'm totally regretting merging now. Thought I'd give KDP Print a chance, but really not pleased so far. *SIGH*

Back to eating the huge amounts of chocolate needed today.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Ooh, for the first time in 24 hours I just got to see a preview of one of my books on KDP.

Unfortunately the text on the spine isn't where I placed it, as confirmed by viewing the PDF, but it's progress. (The logo on the spine is in the right place, they've only shifted the text?)

·
Registered
297 Posts
MarilynVix said:
So, my print books did not align with my ebooks on KDP. I have to log on with my Createspace password to get to my print books on KDP. It is very weird. It's like it created a whole separate account. So, because I'm not stupid to have the same password for both Createspace and KDP, somehow this flub has happened. Or is it supposed to be like that.

My print books are frozen now. Can't do anything to them. Books have disappeared off of Createspace account. I have sent several messages to customer support about it. Heard nothing. I know they are swamped, but I'm just frustrated. Nothing went right, and I can't undo it. Total nightmare.

Did anyone else have this much of a weird thing happen? I was hoping that this would all be smooth, but it hasn't been at all. I'm totally regretting merging now. Thought I'd give KDP Print a chance, but really not pleased so far. *SIGH*

Back to eating the huge amounts of chocolate needed today.
Thanks for posting. I feel your pain - but I took the hint and logged in to align my passwords. CS always allowed us to choose our passwords. KDP insisted we use our Amazon ones.

My account still looks normal, so I made an order. I hope this gets fulfilled. It could be a while b4 the rest gets back to normal.

121 - 140 of 402 Posts