Kindle Forum banner

141 - 160 of 402 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Cecelia said:
Thanks for posting. I feel your pain - but I took the hint and logged in to align my passwords. CS always allowed us to choose our passwords. KDP insisted we use our Amazon ones.

My account still looks normal, so I made an order. I hope this gets fulfilled. It could be a while b4 the rest gets back to normal.
Well, didn't think I'd need to do something like that. Was supposed to be smooth, right? But hey, I'll just have to talk to a rep to find out what to do now that I have what looks like two accounts. Hopefully they can merge it. If not, well I have two accounts. I'm just annoyed. You can't go back once it's all done. So, so frustrated. Need more chocolate.
Who am I kidding. I'm breaking out the red wine now.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I got an email rejecting the updates to my paperback, saying the metadata was incorrect. (It's just a description, nothing out of the ordinary.)  I've just gone through and hit publish again on exactly the same thing, assuming it's some kind of glitch.

"Metadata or files should not reference an incorrect binding type, the inclusion of additional materials (such as a multi-set or disc), or falsely represent what the end customer will receive."

Nowhere do I say the customer is getting a free unicorn, or Jeff's ATM card.

·
Registered
11,674 Posts
dcswain said:
Profit margin is the big difference.

On Lulu they show a 200 page, 6x9, black and white paperback earns the author $1.58 for sales on Amazon or BN.com at a retail price of $14.95. Put those same parameters into Ingram (with 35% wholesale discount) and the author earns $6.14 - almost four times the revenue of Lulu.

If you're serious about Expanded Distribution sales in particular, then Ingram is the only way to go. They have semi regular deals where the set up fee is waived too, you do have to bring your own ISBN though.
This is from David Gaughran's blog. My bold.

What about other services?
Reedsy has a good breakdown here of Createspace/KDP Print v Ingram Spark v BookBaby v Blurb. I'd agree with them that services like BookBaby and Blurb are sub-optimal ways to do your paperbacks. (I'm not even including Lulu here who should be avoided for a whole bunch of reasons, not least their tawdry links with Author Solutions.)

·
Registered
42 Posts
See, add to that the fact ammy won't sell to Australia at all, so we are relying on rip off third parties, and those figures become pointless. Ingram in Australia are damnably impossible with their insistence on you having business tax stuff like an ABN and the like, which is absolutely pointless when you sell maybe five copies a year... As well as way more additional work with the quarterly reporting we have to do for tax in that case than is acceptable if you aren't actually running a full time business. Of course that is hollow comfort. I mean, suddenly Aussie writers are second class citizens in the indie publishing world because of our government being dicks and picking fights with amazon lol. Perhaps buying print copies for author cost and becoming an amazon affiliate seller will be an option? Alternatively, win powerball so I can start a local POD service...

NOTE my goal is not necessarily leaving amazon/CS etc, it is getting books to aussie readers for an acceptable price.

·
Registered
306 Posts
M R Mortimer said:
I see a lot of talk about jumping ship to Ingram, but none about jumping to Lulu. Is there something I am missing? For Australians, Lulu seems a good choice since they print in Melbourne and don't have the setup costs or the stupid IS requirement to get an ABN.
My first book (from over ten years ago) was on Lulu. I love Lulu. But they are prohibitively expensive, and therefore not competitive, to sell on places like Amazon. I keep on hoping their prices will get lower... :(

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Slightly off thread, but....  I just went to look at Bowker's prices for US ISBNS since it's been awhile. Google showed a number of coupon and discount sites offering 15% or so off. Has anybody ever tried that? I went to the top site and the first couple of coupons said "Bowker" but then you got 10% off consultation with a "book marketing professional" or 15% off "online publishing tools of $500+".  But there is one down the line that says 10% bulk ISBN. I don't trust any of them and have never heard of discounts at Bowker, but I'd love to be wrong.

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
Marti talbott said:
I got an action required too:
Hello,
We are contacting you because you have books currently enrolled in CreateSpace Direct and we will not offer this distribution channel on KDP. To maintain uninterrupted enrollment in Expanded Distribution and keep your books available for online retailers and bookstores to purchase in a few weeks (when the move from CreateSpace to KDP begins), you will need to select another channel. --- If you do not take action before the move begins, your CreateSpace books enrolled in CreateSpace Direct will move to KDP in a 'draft' status and will no longer be enrolled in Expanded Distribution.
Yeah, I got a similar warning about a book that I published in two versions, $10.95 for Amazon, $12.95 for expanded distribution. The "expanded" one will similarly go over as Draft.

I think you're wise to wait until at least some of the shooting stops. The KDP Community forums are chock-full of howls about the changever.

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
Cecelia said:
I thought cover creator files were migrating with the books? There was a note to get them right in cover creator if you needed to do anything - before they were moved.
The book I transferred last month as a test had a cover built with the CS wizard (the one where you upload a full image for the front cover and build the spine and back cover online). It came over without a hitch. That of course might vary with the templates they provide.

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
MelanieCellier said:
How do you actually do that? Delete a book from your dashboard, I mean? I have one I wanted to do that with ages ago and couldn't figure out how, so I just unchecked all the distribution options from memory. I would definitely prefer it didn't transfer across since I have a new version of that book now.
The way it was done in the past was to email CS support with the project number and ask for it to be "retired." Whether that's still possible now is another matter.

Sorry to keep posting, but I just got up and there's two whole "pages" of unread posts on this thread!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
The response I got to my support request on Melody of Demons, which didn't migrate over properly due to being in draft and I can't fix due to a "duplicate" ISBN ( I think the now-deleted CS one, but who knows?) was a generic acknowledgement of the issue and a promise of more information by the end of 3rd September. Bear in mind that I was one of the first to click the migration link.

The other issue I've had is the book that migrated and said "live" which now has its interior and cover not working properly. Taking into account the issues I've already had with books I migrated before the change, if you count the head-scratching I had a few weeks ago over a cover that Createspace wouldn't accept because of KDP's stricter rules, I'm four for four when it comes to problems moving over.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our 11 books transferred over...eventually.  But knowing that one paperback had been created using the CreateSpace Cover Creator--and the back cover now didn't show on the Amazon sales page--I used KDP to create the cover and updated that.  I noticed the interior file said there was an error uploading the file (despite the migration being successful), so as long as I was there, I also uploaded the pdf and now the "changes" are in review.  When I "edit" any of the other migrated paperbacks I see that they, too, have an error in red about the interior file not uploading and the cover file not uploading.  These paperbacks look fine on the sales page, complete with back cover and look inside.

I've not received any email saying anything is missing or didn't upload correctly.  I wouldn't even have known this unless I had peeked in to the edit page to check. Do I need to actually upload all my content files and covers for all the migrated paperbacks?

·
Registered
87 Posts
ilamont said:
I am not seeing the banner and CS just let me start the process of creating a new title (didn't follow through, but the regular setup screen still appears after clicking "Add New Title").

Maybe they are migrating accounts in batches?
Same here. Just checked in at CS and saw no banner.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I'm probably not alone in thinking Amazon would have been wiser to just recreate the CS system on the KDP side inside of creating a slightly different system that would produce a whole lot of glitches during migration. There is really no reason to make something so difficult.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I don't understand the complexity of this.  Createspace is an Amazon company. Why not just change the name on the door?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I made the cutover 3 days ago and, since, my sales on paperbacks have stopped - at least as far as reporting is concerned.  Are others experiencing this?  I've had hundreds of days in a row with CS sales but since the cutover, nada.

Are others experiencing delays in reporting?

Thx!

141 - 160 of 402 Posts