Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I did a search and couldn't locate the specific answer...

Anybody producing a physical book via Createspace (etc) AND an ebook via Kindle ?  Is this necessary ?  Maybe from a marketing perspective, mail the book to some folks to review/hold in their hands ? 

I seem to recall some people are having great success with ebooks only.

No need to reinvent the wheel if its not necessary.

Thoughts ?

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have created physical books for every ebook that I've made. I find it an invaluable tool to get me to places where I can network. I have been able to be a panelist at several conventions and conferences that I would not have been able to attend with just electronic copies. I've also been able to get my books into people's hands, which is pretty important still. As a matter of fact I have been able to book a signing with 3-4 traditionally published authors next month because they all read one of my books and vouched for me, so a local Barnes & Noble is going to bend the rules and let me join the signing with my books on consignment, something that would never have happened if I only had digital copies.

Ebooks are great, but they're still not the majority of books sold in the US. A physical book will open doors that ebooks only cannot. That said, I use the physical book mostly as a marketing tool and door-opener. The vast majority of my money comes from ebook sales.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I agree with everything John said above. Plus, there is nothing like holding a physical copy of your book in your hands. No, I don't sell a whole lot of them, but I wouldn't even consider not putting in that little bit of extra effort to have both formats available. (And, they make fantastic gifts to family members!!!)

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
All my books come out in Kindle (and every other ebook format), paperback (via either CreateSpace or Lightning Source), and limited edition, signed and numbered hardcovers.

The ebooks outsell by 10 to 1 or more, but that's an extra 10% I wouldn't get otherwise.

And they make great souvenirs :)

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
What they said.  ;D

Seriously, it's not much more effort, and will really only cost you a proof copy (plus shipping...maybe $10 total) plus $39 if you want the Pro Plan (which you want...it gives higher royalties, the ability to be order in third-party bookstores other than just Amazon, and you can buy your own copies for just cost of printing).

So all that for $50? Sign me up.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Yup!  What they said.  I've even sold enough copies by now to break even! 

In addition, I have observed that the generations older than I am are often less likely to have an e-reader, including members of my own family.  It allows you to reach that group with the simple comment--'my books are available on Amazon!'

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
When I first read the Create Space terms I thought I had lost my ability to understand finance and accounting. I kept looking for the hidden costs above and beyond the $39. I was wrong. It really is only $39.

Then I figured it would take a month to get a book printed and delivered, so I ordered a few. They were on my desk within 48 hours.

I opened the box expecting poor quality. Wrong again.

Ain't it great to be wrong?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I had so many people who said "I want a paper copy!" Friends and family.
I've had only good experiences with Createspace.
I've sold/given away almost 50 copies myself to friends, family, and at a book signing. I've sold about 10 online.
I'm doing a giveaway on Goodreads which requires a physical book and is gaining me lots of exposure.

And as has been said, it's just awesome cool to hold your own book in your hands.  ;D

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
There's no downside to having a paper copy available. Since it's POD it's just like an ebook--on the "forever" shelf. I sell autographed copies direct from my website, maybe one or two a month, but I make more per copy (direct, not Amazon) than I do on ebooks. Like, the equivalent of ten ebooks' worth.

And yeah, there's something about having a physical copy of your own book... :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
mikelewis said:
If you have a kindle formatted book how easy is it to create a CreateSpace version from it? I realise that you need art for the spine and back as well.

Mike
There are templates on CreateSpace if you can't figure out how to do spines and backs or don't want to.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I put out both of my first book, the mystery, because I wanted to have some to sell myself at a certain event and to give away to benefit dog rescue. Then when I published my first romance, I did only the Kindle version and thought there was no reason to do a paperback, particularly since the romance was long and the price would have to be high. What happened was once the ebook began to sell a bit, I kept getting queries from paper-only readers. I decided to go ahead and put out a Create Space version, figuring it would probably at least cover its own costs and maybe garner a few extra fans.

Even though I kept the paperback prices low by skinning down what I get, and I get less from a paperback sale than from a Kindle sale (my ebooks are all $2.99), I think it was worth it. It does help get fans who don't do ebooks. All 3 of my books have more than paid for what it cost to put out a CS version, and it cost me considerably more than $39 - there's the proof copies and I had to buy x-large versions of the images for the paperback covers.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Lexus Luke said:
I'm convinced!

Does Createspace offer ISBNs? And are the books available for library orders, too?

Also, what size paperbacks can you get? Trade? Mass market?
You get an ISBN. You can sign up for an account and play around with your options. There are plenty.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I always do the paperback printed book in Createspace first. It gives me a chance to get fancy on the title pages and covers. I even sprinkle some hand drawn illustrations throughout the book. I figure the customer is paying a good price for this product so I should give them something extra. My Kindle books are just plain text with no illustrations for 99 cents. Some people just want the basics.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
I thought it was super easy to format...just use the templates available on their website, and copy and paste.

I used 10 1/2 pt font, single space. At first it felt like it was small, but I compared it to the text of paperbacks on my shelf, and guess what...almost identical. So I managed to take a 200-page manuscript and turn it into 146 pages, which made it super affordable. I price at just $6.99, and earn $1.59 per copy sold through Amazon, or 17 cents if its sold through a third-party bookstore. Sure, I'm not making much through third-parties, but I figure the exposure is worth it. If someone is more comfortable going to their local bookstore and asking them to order it for them, who am I to complain?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.