Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've toyed with the idea of creating a blog, but have no idea how or where to start. For those of you who have a blog what site do you use and is there a cost to sign up and/or maintain?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
You can use a site like wordpress.com or blogger.com to create a blog for free.

I personally pay for shared web hosting and installed the (free) Wordpress software there, but I might not recommend that if you aren't at least a little web/tech savvy.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I use blogger. It's free and easy to maintain. I'm not all that tech savvy, after all.

Since I use Blogger and Google Sites (the former for my blog and the latter for my website), I can use the same account to maintain them both. It's convenient, but Google Sites is a pain to use at first. I had a hard time learning how to do anything with it, despite the fact that I'm still in my late teens, and we're supposed to be tech savvy.  :D

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I use Squarespace it is a paid hosting site but I felt it was worth it cause the templets are easy to customize... to a degree. You can also have advertisers if you want, while you can't on wordpress. You can use the wordpress softwear with another host and then have advertisers. It really does depend on your tech abilities and what you want your blog to be about... blogger is a good basic one.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've used wordpress and blogger and I prefer wordpress any day of the week. It's easy to set up and easy to maintain and you can play with styles etc. I make my own banners for both my blog and for the Write It Forward blog where I do most of my blogging anyway.

If you want some great useful information on blogging, check out Kristen Lamb's blog at www.warriorwriters.wordpress.com. She talks a lot about content, promoting your blog, how to blog effectively, etc. She also wrote a book on it titled Are You There Blog? It's Me, Writer.

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
blogspot on google makes it all really easy. The problem I have is that I can't decide if each title needs its own blog since my main blog, Word Joy, is a review sight for other people's writing. I think I need a new one for Word Joy and should devote the one with my name to my works, but I have 46 followers and hate to do that to them.

http://www.eileengranfors.blogspot.com

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I use blogger. I'm moderately tech savy, but I've known folks who are not that have done well.

Before you start blogging, I would sit back and determine why you want to blog. What are you going to discuss week after week--narrow scope of topics, or wide variety or somewhere in between? Is it more for yourself or close group of friends/family, or will it be a blog where you hope to attract many readers?

How much time are you planning to invest in it and how often do you intend to post to the blog?

Once it's set up with blogger, it's not very difficult to maintain. There are plenty of tutorials on places like youtube where you can watch/see with someone explaining how to set up and maintain a blog.

Blogger is free, so there is not cost.

Here is what I've managed to put together with respect to a blog. I usually post 8-9 times a month: Up Around the Corner

·
Registered
222 Posts
I also use Blogger.com, and I *mostly* enjoy it.  I'm moderatly computer savy, but I know of other users who are not and are still able to easily navigate around and keep their blog running.  The majority of my online community uses blogger.com, so I can easily follow their posts from my dashboard and I really like that.

I agree with TWErvin2; it's good to have a plan about your content before you decide where and how to set up your blog.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Blogging, because it's not static is a great "hub" for your business as an author. I do think authors should blog. The key is finding the right topics for each individual writer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts