Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm somewhat inclined at this point to go with my credit card warranty for the K2, which mirrors the K2's limited one-year warranty.  I have my K2 in a hinged Amazon cover and I'm overly protective with all my tech devices.  (In fact, if I see any family member's cell phone near the edge of a table, etc., I always move it to the center, etc. .....a real OCD-like trait, I know).  However, I am only human, of course.....

My credit card company says that I will need a "written estimate" of the repair/damage.  I didn't know how I could provide this to them, so I called Kindle support.  They told me if anything happened to the K2 they could call or email or otherwise communicate to the credit card company a full refund of $359, since they don't "do repairs" on site and would be sending me a new or refurbished K2 anyway.  Does anyone else feel comfortable with this?  I could certainly call another rep from both companies and see if I get the same story, but who is ever to say what would truly happen? 

All of this makes me lean toward the Extended Warranty from Amazon, what I'm not an extended warranty type of person.  I know Square Trade has a good rep, but I'm not interested in dealing with them. 

Overall, I've become somewhat reticent to go with paid warranties, especially of late, because I'm aware of so many long-term businesses going belly up with the poor economy.  I no longer feel the security I used to.  I tend to feel secure with Amazon, so if ServiceNet (their warranty provider) went out of business, my hope is they would still honor the second year of the warranty.  (Just overly cautious because SIL put in a very large $$$ amount of outdoor lighting and the lighting company--in business for almost 75 years...went out of business due to the economy, thus no warranty.)

·
Registered
599 Posts
I also went with Amazon's extended warranty. I didn't want to deal with an outside warranty company either, plus the one-time accidental drop coverage is good for me--I tend to be clumsy, so I will be much more careful knowing I only get one chance at redemption, lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm sticking with the credit card free warranty: AmEx not only covers 90 days of theft and accidental damage, it extends Amazon's coverage for one full year. The Amazon extended warranty only covers one incident of accidental damage in those 2 years.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dedalus said:
I'm sticking with the credit card free warranty: AmEx not only covers 90 days of theft and accidental damage, it extends Amazon's coverage for one full year. The Amazon extended warranty only covers one incident of accidental damage in those 2 years.
My particular Visa card also covers 90 days of purchase protection, which was nice to know. Had I thought ahead, I would have charged it to Amex, as I find they are hands-down better with customer service over any other company.

As it stands, having charged it to Visa, I'm concerned about dealing with their "warranty benefit" representatives, as they just can't "get by" the idea that Amazon can't be sent to a local repair shop. I've spoken with two reps who cover the extended warranty "benefit" and both said the same thing. They kept asking who the manufacturer was and I told them to consider it Amazon, and Amazon didn't have a repair center or "authorized centers" for repair. I told them the regular course was for Amazon to send a new/refurbished K2 and do what they will with the broken unit I mailed back to them. Finally, the Visa warranty reps seemed to reluctantly offer that Amazon could email me the cost of replacement and I could fax them that plus a copy of the original warranty. Despite speaking to two reps on two different days it continued to sound "iffy" to me, like it could be potential trouble should I need the benefit. I don't want to discover in year two that Visa doesn't understand and won't cover it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts