Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was writing a flash fiction piece yesterday (flash fiction = 1000 words or fewer).  It was about the Rapture that didn't happen. When I finished the draft, I did a quick word count.

Word count = 666.  Should I leave it or throw in another sentence?  CREEPY!

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
absolutely perfect.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
So, I have a stupid question.  What do  you do with your flash fiction?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Judi Coltman said:
So, I have a stupid question. What do you do with your flash fiction?
You "flash" it at passerby's in the French Quarter and they throw beads at you - yes? Isn't that how it works? ;D

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Judi Coltman said:
Because of the mad bunny craze of 2011 I got an urge to write these as an ongoing part of improving my writing. I've started posting them on my blog, but I don't know what I'll do with them later on. Maybe I'll put together a collection or something.

·
Registered
178 Posts
When I hear that phrase (Flash Fiction) I think of the magician in a Magic Suit. He can be on a stage, with a top hat. But instead of rabbit, he pulls out a piece of paper. Reads the story. FLASH! It is over and done. He smiles, the crowd claps their hands. And for his next trick ... out of thin air comes another paper. He reads it. FLASH! Another story done.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Judi Coltman said:
If you haven't ever been, check out duotrope: http://www.duotrope.com/index.aspx

Its a big database of practically every fiction market out there. On the "length" field, just select flash fiction, and you'll find a ton of places to submit your work to.

Because they're quick to read, there are a ton of sites that post flash fiction daily. Flash fiction is also a handy way for journals and magazines to fill a couple of blank pages. So it's a fast way to build up some publication credits.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do two things with my flash fiction: submit to contests, hoping to catch an agent's eye (several are shortened versions of chapters in this book or that one by me) or I put them into an anthology--who doesn't have time to read a story between 500-1000 words?  GREAT for travel on buses, use in high school classrooms as writing prompts.

The new volume, Flash Warden, should be out in a week or so.

I love 6-word memoirs too!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts